Very Basic Dimensions Question

HarrisReno

I feel silly asking this as I know I most individuals in this forum are MUCH more advance than I with this program, so please forgive my simplicity. I am just starting to dabble with Chief Architect, and I can't change my dimensions. I select the line, I hover over the measurement, I try to select the number, I have watched quite a few videos. I don't understand why it doesn't just open the box that allows me the manually enter the dimension for that wall. I've had the program for a few months and have not been religious at using it. However, when I first used it, I was indeed able to edit dimensions. What has changed? What am I doing wrong now?

31 minutes ago, HarrisReno said:

I don't understand why it doesn't just open the box that allows me the manually enter the dimension for that wall. I've had the program for a few months and have not been religious at using it.

That is NOT how dimensions are programmed to work. You select an object connected to a dimension string, then left-click on the dimension segment you wish to edit. This opens a "Move Object by way of Dimension" dialog box where you enter the desired value. You then close the dialog which orders the selected object to move to the desired new location.

You can also do many things to a selected object using the "Transform-Replicate Object" dialog (command icon is to be found in the "Edit Toolbar" that only appears when an object is selected. With that tool, you can move it precisely in any direction or angle, make copies, rotate precisely, mirror-reflect etc. The learning curve is what it is due to the many useful tools at your fingertips, learning where they are and what they do and do not do. Begin!

DJP

draw 4  connected interior walls, click on the top tool bar tool for dimensions use interior dimension & drag that from wall to wall a dimension will appear click on the wall that will be highlighted , then the dimension a box will show up eneter your new wall dimension

7 hours ago, HarrisReno said:

I feel silly asking this as I know I most individuals in this forum are MUCH more advance than I with this program, so please forgive my simplicity. I am just starting to dabble with Chief Architect, and I can't change my dimensions. I select the line, I hover over the measurement, I try to select the number, I have watched quite a few videos. I don't understand why it doesn't just open the box that allows me the manually enter the dimension for that wall. I've had the program for a few months and have not been religious at using it. However, when I first used it, I was indeed able to edit dimensions. What has changed? What am I doing wrong now?

You may find if you are not zoomed in close enough to the Dimension String , it will not offer to open the DBX ( dialog box) and let you enter the Dimension manually , the cursor will change to a pointing finger if it is going to be open-able.