Curved (barrel) Ceiling - attic wall

SNestor

Can someone tell me how to construct the attic wall above a curved ceiling as shown below?  I tried placing a wall in the attic (attic wall) but all you get is a standard triangular shaped attic wall...the bottom edge of the attic wall does not follow the curved of the ceiling.  

Thanks!

Here is the curved ceiling...no attic wall.

5b6732645da7a_CurvedCeiling1.thumb.png.c106cad0423898e75f84718a2cefb0a7.png

Here is "with" an "attic wall"...

5b6732655a403_CurvedCeiling2.thumb.png.87a3365523a621eaf6499792706d5c8f.png

36 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Help?  Is this really as complicated as it appears?

Looks like Eric reshaped the bottom of the Attic Wall for you....

If you don't need to show Framing you can also take a back-clipped Cross section >CAD from View >

reshape the Wall Polyline as needed,

then Copy it > Paste / hold position, it back into the back clipped cross-section,

convert to a polyline solid, and make it 3 1/2" thick and the material drywall.

In plan view you may need to slide it back to your curved ceiling edge.

PS you don't need the invisible wall ,

below is the Poly-solid way...

Capture.JPG

4 hours ago, solver said:

All automatic -- no solids or reshaping needed.

Open the Attic Wall and review the settings on the roof panel.

When I 1st tried the " Roof Cuts wall at the bottom"  setting , it did not work properly the wall stuck out the Roof and only cut the curve above the Ceiling framing..... at 1st I thought it was just an Alignment with the ceiling plane issue, but that didnt fix it either, however I had not noticed even though the wall was drawn in the Attic that the Wall was not marked ATTIC Wall on the General Tab.....this fixed it all auto.

M.

17 hours ago, solver said:

Thank you Eric...

So I gather the "secret" to success is dragging the ceiling plane beyond the attic wall...then dragging back to align with the edge of the drywall.  I don't believe this "secret" editing technique is described anywhere in the "Chief Help Files".  

Just another task in Chief that should be simple (but isn't)...any attic wall should be able to determine the ceiling shape and automatically adjust to fit the shape.  

If I had a dime for every time something like this has slowed me down I'd be very wealthy....<_<  

44 minutes ago, solver said:

Did not realize that was a secret. I've often needed to do the same with roof planes when making changes to roof settings in a wall, and assumed others did too.

I'll be more thorough with my explanations in the future.

Eric - I cannot begin to thank you enough for all the help you have provided to us all on this forum.  You have helped me often when I didn't even ask a question.  

My point about the "secret" is that an attic wall should behave the same whether it's located above a flat room ceiling plane....or a manual ceiling plane...or an arched ceiling plane. It's the inconsistent behavior that drives me a bit crazy that's all.  I had tried just about everything to fix that attic wall but with no success.  Dragging the ceiling plane out beyond the attic wall...and then back to the drywall surface of the attic wall seems so unnecessary.

Am I the only one that has difficulty with this?  I doubt it....

• 3 months later...

That is a wonderful solution, thank you Eric! 

I am facing a similar problem, but in mine, I want the wall to be visible, and show some trimwork along the bottom, very much like this sample image. I downloaded this sample from Chief Architect so that I could open it up and see how it was done and cannot for the life of me determine what they did! It is definitely an attic wall, but how did they set that perfect arc and trim it out?:

image.thumb.png.e86e88690a2bd3c70f563c49fe1ef009.png

11 hours ago, rwaldrondesigns said:

above for an attic wall that is invisible

Perhaps you can't see it cos'    ^^^^^^^

Not sure which Sample plan you have but are you sure the Arch isn't done with a Doorway (Trim) or Polyline Solids?  to be continued in your Own thread :)

PS the important info for you Sig. is the software Version being used, as there are different answers for different versions sometimes as features have evolved.

M.

16 hours ago, rwaldrondesigns said:

That is a wonderful solution, thank you Eric! 

I am facing a similar problem, but in mine, I want the wall to be visible, and show some trimwork along the bottom, very much like this sample image. I downloaded this sample from Chief Architect so that I could open it up and see how it was done and cannot for the life of me determine what they did! It is definitely an attic wall, but how did they set that perfect arc and trim it out?:

image.thumb.png.e86e88690a2bd3c70f563c49fe1ef009.png

Hi Rachel,

That was done with a doorway.