X10 - Simplified Plan Views (Solved)

misterwiley

First off I absolutely love Plan Views! They are a game changer when it comes to organizing plans and using reference layer sets however I'm starting to discover that I have a ton of Plan Views pilling up. When it comes to multi level plans, I'm starting to feel like I might be using this feature improperly. For intense my plan views are looking like the following attachment.

Because Plan Views are locked to specific floors, I'm finding I have to create a plan view for each type of plan (i.e framing, plumbing, electrical, hvac, etc), and then the same for each floor (i.e framing level1, framing level2, plumbing level1 plumbing level2, electrical level1, electrical level2, hvac level1, etc) because I wont be able to send them all to layout without them all defaulting to one level. I'd hate to think about how many Plan Views I would end up having for say a 4 story structure not to mention the tedious time waste it is to go through and make all these extra Plan Views.

I would love to hear how you guys are setting up your Plan Views for multi level buildings and how you send each level's various plan to layout, hopefully in a way that is not as cluttered as my method.

Capture.PNG

This is just an FYI.  There is nothing really wrong with having lots of saved plan views.

You can also setup Saved Plan Views that are floor agnostic.  If you open the Saved Plan View specification dialog from the Project Browser, you can set the floor to "Use Any Floor".  This will allow you to use the same saved plan view for any floor in the model.  You should not get a warning about not saving it if you change the floor and then close the view.  When you send one of these saved plan views to a layout page, the program will remember what floor you were on when you sent it even though it is still linked to the saved plan view.

You might want to try setting up some of these saved plan views to see if it allows you to work more efficiently.

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, Dermot said:

This is just an FYI.  There is nothing really wrong with having lots of saved plan views.

You can also setup Saved Plan Views that are floor agnostic.  If you open the Saved Plan View specification dialog from the Project Browser, you can set the floor to "Use Any Floor".  This will allow you to use the same saved plan view for any floor in the model.  You should not get a warning about not saving it if you change the floor and then close the view.  When you send one of these saved plan views to a layout page, the program will remember what floor you were on when you sent it even though it is still linked to the saved plan view.

You might want to try setting up some of these saved plan views to see if it allows you to work more efficiently.

That's a great tip and just simplified my plan views.

Thanks