can't get layout window to stay with one plan, help

katmacphail

I'm having a strange issue, all of a sudden.  I"m using x10, have been for a while.  I started a new project, which of course has a new plan.  I started from a template, a different one than I normally use.  I noticed last night that the title of my plan ends with "working plan view".  I have tried to fix this, started the program over, always says 102 Florence: working plan view.  I don't know what this is about but maybe this is contributing to my real problem, which is that whenever I send a plan to layout, it replaces the other layout window that I have already established, no matter what page of the layout.  This hasn't happened to before.  The section layout stays the same, but the plan layout windows all change to the most recent plan send to layout.  

Thanks for your help

Katharine

102_florence_scheme_b.plan

june 1 presentation.layout

1 hour ago, katmacphail said:

I noticed last night that the title of my plan ends with "working plan view".

Your file name has not changed. X10 added "plan views" and "working plan view" only shows up on the tab to indicate which plan view you are using. When a view is sent to layout it will use the named plan view. Every layout box sent to layout that has the same plan view will look the same.

There is some information on plan views in the reference manual-not a lot but some, might find more searching the forum. They are a little tricky to get adjusted to but very powerful once you do.

Layout dbx.png

Plan views.png

Ok, so the working plan vs. plan isn't the issue.  Here is my problem: When I send the second floor plan to layout, I have a second floor plan in view.  Then I send the third floor to layout, and I have two third floor views.  The plan layout boxes switch to the latest plan sent to layout, if that makes sense.  I don't know if it is something strange about my latest file that I just started, because it hasn't happened to me as recently as yesterday on other projects. 

Katharine

Katharine, if you like, I would be happy to do an online meeting with you and see what's going on. I would have to watch and see how you're doing it. If interested, please call my cell 832-754-6160.

• Upvote 1

I downloaded your plan and layout file, opened them in my X10. I do not see anything out of place or the naming conventions you describe at all. Your plan and layout files have not been "renamed" as you claim on my PC, so I am confused as to what you ARE speaking of, can you be more specific and show the naming instances you are speaking of as being out of place?

DJP

David- Last night I noticed that the name on the plan, while I have it open, is now "working plan view" which I had not noticed before. The saved file name has not changed, just the name on the tab while the file is open.  I then am having a problem sending views to layout, and I thought the two might be related.  I thought it was possible that "working plan view" went to layout differently than "plan", as it previously been called at the tab while I'm working on it.  Because I started a new plan with a template I hadn't used before, I thought maybe a preference was set differently.  I tried looking up "working plan view" but couldn't find information anywhere.  

It seems that this has been changed recently and I am just noticing.  

My real problem came up when I was trying to create a layout.  I sent a section view to layout, no problem.  I sent the third floor plan to layout, no problem.  I sent the second floor to layout, in a new window, no problem with that window but the problem is the first window, which had been the third floor plan, was now the second floor plan.  Originally I was trying to set up the two plans on one sheet.  Both windows became the most recent view sent to layout.  This had never happened before and I tried everything I could to fix it- the only thing that was different was the "working plan view" in the tab and the different template that I had used to start the plan.  I don't want every window in layout to change to the most recent view sent to layout.  I don't know if it is just my old mac acting up, the program, or what.  

Katharine 

It appears that you used the new template with the new saved plan view setup.

Saved Plan views is a new feature that came out in x10.  It works great once you get used to how it functions.

There is a recent thread on here where this is discussed.

• Upvote 1

I did not look at your plan but from your description it sounds like you are sending views to layout that are linked to Saved Plan Views.  If you change the saved plan view, then this will affect your layout view.

Here are some ways to solve your problems:

- You can stop using saved plan views by switching your Saved Plan View Control that appears in the default toolbar to "None".  You can also do this in your default template so that new plans won't start in a saved plan view.

- You can unlink a layout box from a saved plan view by opening the Layout Box Specification dialog and setting the Linked Saved Plan View combo box to "None".

- You can learn how to use Saved Plan Views.  If you use a different saved plan view for each layout view, you won't have to worry about accidently messing them up.

More information about Saved Plan Views can be found in the reference manual or in this video:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2421/saved-plan-views.html?playlist=100

• Upvote 1