How do I get shiplap?

Chief5Me

I am wondering how to get ship-lap (or at least a mimic) onto a wall. I've tried to use the spray paint tool with selected flooring, but the "ship-lap" is going the wrong way.

is there a special catalog i can download? or maybe some settings i can change to give me the desired look?

If you want to just put it over the drywall you can use the material region tool under the wall tools. Watch the video in CA for the "Wall Material Region" tool. There are several ways to achieve what you want to do.

It sounds like you need to go thorough some of the quick start video's and introduction videos.

Read these articles on how to do what you wish to do, it is a Chief Architect Knowledge Base Help article which is searchable for any data you may need:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00194/changing-the-direction-of-a-material-s-pattern-and-texture.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01006/customizing-a-library-material.html

DJP

• Upvote 1

Here are a couple of seamless shiplap textures if they can be of use to you. Create a new material with them and ensure the scale of the square is correct

for the amount of reveal you require.

For example, the one with 9 planks showing, I will choose to have either a 4" or 5" reveal. That translates into a square of 36" or 45".

The calculation process applies to the larger texture as well, of course. From there, they can be any colour you wish.

Hope this helps.

white siding.png

siding seamless.png

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Chief5Me said:

I am wondering how to get ship-lap (or at least a mimic) onto a wall. I've tried to use the spray paint tool with selected flooring, but the "ship-lap" is going the wrong way.

is there a special catalog i can download? or maybe some settings i can change to give me the desired look?

There are Shiplap sidings in the Core Library but it is best to get into the habit of changing the Wall Definition rather that "Painting" Walls,  weird things can happen with Painting  Walls especially on Exteriors.

Open the Wall Definition Tool , make a Copy of the Closest Wall you have, to the one you want and then Change the Interior or Exterior Wall material to another one in the Library , Under Siding eg Lite Grey Shiplap Below.

4.thumb.JPG.f405abdf53d91de1427416569b82ed5e.JPG5.thumb.JPG.51976e017650d49e2f1e028ae39bf218.JPG

Also, it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in please, especially with the Software Version,
and of course a Name is nice too :) ..............see mine below in Blue for how to do that.
If you don't see my Signature then you have them turned off for the Forum or are perhaps on the CA Mobile WebSite.

M.

• Upvote 1

It took me a while to figure it all out myself, so it is not a silly question. But the answer lies, as Mr. Potter noted, in the CA web-site videos and knowledge base. Perhaps you could start there, then come back to the forum with your further questions. As you can see, you will find a great deal of support and invaluable information here from very accomplished users. I do not include myself in that group -  not for at least another 20 years - if ever.......:)

PS. CA has quite a few horizontal siding textures. Good ones. What I posted I made for my own purposes, ran them through Photoshop to clean up, then in & out of PIXPLANT  to create a seamless texture. They show up very well in CA.

29 minutes ago, Chief5Me said:

No

25 minutes ago, solver said:

ct1.thumb.jpg.cb3dbd9db6ed4d7701cae97c3b304104.jpg

Ok thanks Eric , now I know why some people don't see my Signature :) I thought it was cos they were using the Mobile Website

here is mine Chief5Me

2.thumb.JPG.4d140281dfed5a91cb2f022cb580d402.JPG

21 hours ago, Seafield said:

then in & out of PIXPLANT  to create a seamless texture

OT - David is PIXPLANT pretty easy (subjective, I know) to use for seamless textures? I constantly struggle with getting good, tileable textures in Paintshop Pro or Gimp. I am having to develop new ones more and more lately -- thank you Pinterest and Houzz (I think...).

Hi Mike,

you are right: easy is highly subjective......:)

PP does not have a low learning curve, but once you have gone through the videos from the author (and a few others) you can start to tile images fairly reasonably.

I have found it now essential to have - along with Photoshop. I believe you can get reasonable results from GIMP, but I do not know about Paintshop Pro.....

I run an image through PS first to clean it and square it up, then port it over to PP to tile as a texture. It is finicky, I will admit, and you have to experiment a lot to get the seamless aspect right (see attached). I have yet to work on the other maps, but that is coming.

I also have BITMAP2MATERIAL from Allegorithmic. It is even more powerful, but I just have not made that one work for me - yet.

There is no question that over time I do want to be able to master making my own PBR materials (and their full maps, like yourself.

On rendering with quality materials, my thinking/experimentation at the moment is this:

1. Find or make materials that have (or I will make later) the maps beyond just the initial image.

2. Use the basic texture in my CA modelling. The beauty and strength of CA for me is the modelling and con/docs.

3. Take a 3ds file from CA over to UNITY. Because CA uses 3ds so well, once in Unity, everything is grouped correctly as they are in CA. This helps enormously. In fact, it is essential.

4. I don't worry about taking textures from CA over to Unity, just their positioning on the model. Vital.

5. In Unity, I then apply the albedo and start shaping the rest of the maps with Unity tools, or import the maps from PP. This is as far as I have gotten in my learning curve, but I am really keen on real-time rendering so this is the track I will stay with for now. What has really inspired me is a video on youtube: "Unity Archviz Interior & Exterior - Testing Realtime GI with Hdr Skybox" by sertac tasdemir. 

I do recommend PP. It is a very good start to getting to produce your own quality material maps.

Cheers.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 9.42.00 AM.png