I've begun to manage "plan views" in X10.  This is a really great new feature...but, the OOB settings are only a start...not the total picture.  So, similar to annotation sets to some degree, I think it's necessary to have more defined views...but, I'm not sure and don't want to create a bunch of views if they aren't really needed.  

So...lets take the OOB plan view called "Electrical Plan View".  To me...you need an electrical plan view for each floor?  Can a guru chime in and tell me if I'm on the right path?  I know you can select "any floor" in the plan view DBX...and use the up and down arrows to move through the floors and the same "view" will be applied to each floor.  But...I think you may want to use a different ref set on each floor or maybe have some unique text or something.  

I'm not sure I know what I'm doing...this is why I'm asking. 

Steve,  I think you are on the right path.  A unique layer set,  anno set and ref set for each PLAN VIEW.  

Absolutely,  I think you are on the right track.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Steve,  I think you are on the right path.  A unique layer set,  anno set and ref set for each PLAN VIEW.  

Absolutely,  I think you are on the right track.

Thanks Scott! 

Steve,

Yes, a separate Plan View for each floor for each discipline.  I've even broken it down for framing to Floor, Ceiling, Rafters and Trusses.  Electrical could be broken into Power and Lighting.  It really just depends on how finely you want to show things in the Layout.  I also have a Roof Plan View for each Floor Level - not always needed depending on the design but it's nice when it is needed.

One of the really nice parts of this is that whatever name you give the Plan View in the Project Browser is what the %view_name% macro will display.  That makes naming your views to be sent to Layout much easier.  IOW, put that macro in a Text Box on each Floor Level and when you switch Plan Views the title will change accordingly.

• Upvote 2

In the overview video, CA also suggests even saving views of certain rooms, since you can save the zoom level with the view. Very useful for navigating to often edited rooms such as kitchens and baths.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    B1k3rm4n
    Newest Member
    B1k3rm4n

• By MarkMc
      Why mess with Plan Views- Annotation sets are great but they don’t save the actual view or floor, plan views do.
      You can have several plan views with the same annotation set, some for changing floor levels, some for zooming in closer, showing reference display or not.
      You can have a plan view that uses all of the annotation defaults with a different layerset.
      Opening a plan view from the project browser creates a new tab with the plan as you saved that view.

I’ve had to set up templates for several clients, each with some changes. But you can’t import plan views. I can start with a template with some but sometimes need others or changes.
      Few things I’ve found useful. All are almost the same procedure.

Setting them up fresh and making new ones easily
      Import annotation sets and layersets you think you will need (I have a few variations saved for this). Plan view tied to annotation set-Select an annoset and zoom view to about what you will need on the floor you want. Click “save plan view” and name it. Same view and annoset on another floor.- While in that plan view click “new plan view”. You’ll get a new tab with the same view and anno-set etc. Change the floor THEN click Save Plan view and give it a name. Repeat as needed. Same view with different annotation set. -In a view you want Click New Plan View, get new tab, change annoset. Save plan view, give it a name. Same view, same annotation defaults, DIFFERENT layerset. From view, click new plan view, get new tab, change layerset only, save plan view. By now you should get the idea.   To protect my plan views and avoid confusion. Move the “Save Plan View” icon out of the way so you don’t accidentally or automatically click it. Then add icons for “New Plan View” and “Save Plan View As” where you will easily find them. If you use hotkeys make the key combo for “Save Plan View” dissimilar to the other two and more challenging to reach. Something like- S,N for New Plan View; S,A for Save Plan View As, (both one handed) and Z,P (two hands for most folks) for Save Plan view.

Finally-
      Upon opening a plan, open a second plan view. Change something in one of these, doesn’t matter what or which one. Then close it. When the little DBX pops up with “This saved plan view has been modified since it was last saved. Would you like to save the current settings?” Check off “Remember m choice during this session” and select NO. That way when you close the plan you won’t accidentally click yes and screw up your plan view.  

I’m teaching my clients to do this last bit since they don’t want to mess with all the other complications and I don’t want them returning plans with messed up layouts.
    • By SNestor
      So...I'm listening to a webinar yesterday that Dan at Chief Experts/Pro Academy was holding. The topic was new features in X10.  Seems like a topic you would do in March...but so be it.  

Early on he covered "Plan Views" and made the categorical statement that to him this feature didn't do much for him.  I was a bit shocked...as I use this feature all the time...and have found it to be very useful...but, he has been using the software much longer than I have and maybe is "set" in the way he uses the software.  One thing I've noticed about Dan is that he doesn't seem to use "annotation sets" much either...and if you aren't really using "anno sets" then it's somewhat logical you'd not be using plan views either.  

For me...being able to assign a specific "reference set" to each plan view is incredible.  This feature alone makes "plan views" very powerful.  

Just wondering what the consensus is....are you using "Plan Views" in your day to day work flow?  

Thanks
    • By lavorhaynie
      Just installed X10. Getting my feet wet learning about "Plan Views". Watched videos, scanned ChiefTalk, read help files. 

I use legacy plans for about 80% of my work. Is there a way to import plan views into pre-X10 plans?

Thank you!
      LaVor Haynie
      Been Chiefin' since 2004...
    • By dcwhite13
      I'm putting together a layout and want to add an electrical set with dimension. Is there a way to draw the dimensions as electrical dimension so I don't have to change the layer set manually, seems like there should be. I have wasted a lot of time layering dimensions and would love if someone has a trick to save me time. I'm running X10
    • By cv2702
      When generating a walkthrough, which layer set does it use?