RobertGHess

Drawing Sizes are huge

I am trying to send perspectives to clients and reviewers and the drawings are getting too big - any directions for reducing drawings sizes?

So, I will try to be more specific - sorry for any confusion. I am using X9 - my name is Robert and I am an Architect.  I have to send my drawings(pdf. files) to my clients and our county for review and because of the size they tend to be, it has become very hard to send a group of drawings.  I include perspective views with my sets because they "tell the story" to clients and reviewers.  I appreciate all the comments, especially the one about trying to change views (vector,etc.) that may take up less data.... I will continue experimenting - love the software, just having a learning curve issue from AutoCad.

Edited by RobertGHess
better explanation of issue

If you mean file sizes, print to "PDF" using a 3rd party "PDF" driver. Do not use Chief's print to "PDF"., their file size is very large compared to others..

There are a lot of things that cause this.  One of the worst is sending a pdf file to your layout.  Live views make files bigger.  Even the camera view style you use can change the file size.  Standard and vector view are alright but water color with lines added will be a much bigger file.  Interior design elements can also make for an unmanageable file size.  Certain objects have WAY more face counts than others.  Storing a lot of jpeg images in a plan or layout file will also start adding up.  It takes work to keep these files clean and lean.

3 hours ago, RobertGHess said:

yes the file sizes

Are you talking about the .plan File size or the size of Images taken and exported out of Chief , because I have never seen those large in size...perhaps you need to explain more ?

Also, it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in please, especially with the Software Version,
and of course a Name is nice too :) ..............see mine below in Blue for how to do that.

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Are you talking about the .plan File size

Yes it seems Robert is sharing plan files for use with the Client Viewer or Compatible version of Chief software and yes the files can get to be too large to email even if zipped so the only practical solution it to use a cloud service.  Or as Eric suggested the 3D Viewer.

Ok , he send he was sending perspectives ,  which I thought meant perspective views , so has me confused....... as I am not aware of anyone who gives Client's his Full Plan File.

M.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Bren0625
    Newest Member
    Bren0625

• By divreig
      Anyone know how to change label text size? I am working on a large building and the layout scaling is 1/32". The labels are too small and cant be read. I cant find options for text size all the label panel, all it has that box that says use default, that I can check and uncheck. But don't know where to edit this default size or the individual label text size. 

• By 619palace
      I am having a problem with text box sizes shrinking. When I insert text on a Plan or Layout sheet it enters correctly and displays on one continuous line. Later after continuing to work on a document the text box shortens one text character so 'GARAGE' winds up with the 'E' dropping down to the next line as if the 'Enter' key had been pressed. See below.
      GARAG
      E
      I'm not sure when this happens but it seems to be when I go to print the Layout page. The strange thing is that it also changes the Plan page. 
      This is O.K. to manually change by stretching the text box back wider but I'm doing a 62 room hotel and it means a ton of work.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
      Warren

• By cjanderson66
      I am finding that my plan files are becoming very large in size.  The current project I am working on is 50mb in size.  Is this common or are other users having smaller ones.  Would love to know what size plan files you have and if I am just getting huge files because of all the notes that I have to put on my plans these days.

• By LeeDrafter
      Hi all,
      I am in need of a picture that is 1600 px X 1200 px. My monitor is not that big and is not in that proportion. So, in ray trace current view dbx wizard, I uncheck use active window and uncheck retain aspect ratio. I input the width and height pixels that I am after. But the ray trace only does a portion of what I have on the screen. I'm guessing because my screen proportions are different than what I am asking for. Is there a way to create the view in some sort of border that matches the proportions I need before I ray trace? How do I know where to locate thing on screen so they don't get cut off during ray trace? I attached the screen and the resulting ray trace at my input pixels. Thanks!! 

• By michellejensen7
      When I did an elevation or perspective, nothing would show up, just a white blank page.  I followed some instructions on the Chief Architect Support page and changed some of my rendering preferences and now I can see the elevations and perspectives but it still doesn't look quite right as lines are missing etc. I've gone to HP.com to update my driver but it says there are no available updates. Not really sure where to go from here..? Do I not have the right requirements? Do I need a new laptop or is it a simple fix?

Laptop I'm using- HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, Windows 7, 64-bit, 8GB

Microprocessor- Intel® Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

Graphics Device 1- Radeon HD 6770M

Graphics Device 2- Intel® HD Graphics Family

Any input would be great!

Michelle