Brick Sill

Designer1

10 minutes ago, solver said:

I don't see a need for a 3D Molding Polyline here. A Molding Polyline is all that's needed if a molding polyline is being used.

Eric, please dont minimize my concern about the brick sills functions not working.  Problem is they use to work and now they dont and need to be fixed.

Tommy, yes I see what your saying.  My opinion is this use to work and needs to be fixed.  To go around and need to paint using brick texture, then rotate the vectorview texture to make it look accurate and change the molding profile shape to fill in the gap chief creates is too much work around.  In fact brick sill 3d moldings started changing their behaviors, not for the better in X9.  You can read from my very first post on here and see what Im talking about.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Eric, please dont minimize my concern about the brick sills functions not working.  Problem is they use to work and now they dont and need to be fixed.

Tommy, yes I see what your saying.  My opinion is this use to work and needs to be fixed.  To go around and need to paint using brick texture, then rotate the vectorview texture to make it look accurate and change the molding profile shape to fill in the gap chief creates is too much work around.  In fact brick sill 3d moldings started changing their behaviors, not for the better in X9.  You can read from my very first post on here and see what Im talking about.

Chad, I really do feel your pain and frustration about something not working when it used to. Been there. BTW, I generally just do the brick molding profile in a plan once. Once I have it right in the window, I just copy that window around where I need a brick sill so I don't have to do it again to every window that needs it and resize the other windows as needed...the brick sill is already there. Pretty quick. I don't ever have the gap issue you mention but I don't think that issue comes up when using a molding profile.

Tommy, nice idea I like that.  Did you happen to watch Steves video above?  In it he shows how chief creates a gap at the bottom of the molding when you use a molding profile and how you have to tweak it a bit to make it look right.  Do you have these issues with your moldings?

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Tommy, nice idea I like that.  Did you happen to watch Steves video above?  In it he shows how chief creates a gap at the bottom of the molding when you use a molding profile and how you have to tweak it a bit to make it look right.  Do you have these issues with your moldings?

I briefly watched it. As mentioned, I don't have any problems with anything. I never need to tweak my profile unless a particular wall type calls for it. My profile works for all brick walls as long as there is a 5-1/2" brick ledge being used which is what's common here. If I were you, I would forget about using a 3D molding polyline for the brick sill until this gets fixed (if it ever does). 

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

The gap under the brick sill molding can be fixed easily.  

Just use a "stack molding".  You can assign unique materials to each molding in a "stack" molding profile.  

Assign the "course brick" material to the sill (molding #1 in pic)...and assign the "standard" brick texture to the molding you used to "fill the gap" (molding #2 in pic).  You can then assign this "sill" molding to your window default if you are doing a design where the windows are mostly in brick walls...then every window will come into your plan with the sill just the way you want it...

549384747_stackmoldingpic.thumb.png.57ad92a17a5d143929c6aefe0c141701.png

Nice Steve.  Im so grateful you brought the gap issues up in your video.  In previous chief versions this wasnt an issue.  The start and additions to my posts on this thread have been about brick symbol moldings not being accurate and you found the additional problem, thanks for finding these.  This makes us all aware of something we might have otherwise not found till much later in the design process.

I guess I will just find a brick in the library and try and build a stacked molding like yours thats accurately sized to a real brick sill, so at least I have something to use in the meantime till chief fixes this.

Thanks again for all your input with videos and ideas Steve!

I did some adjusting and the sill fits to the wall ok.  This method of creating the extended part below the sill helps fill in the gap it creates but what about if you want the brick to be a different color then the wall?  How do you get each component of the brick sill to be two different textures if I wanted the lower part of the sill to be the white brick like the wall but keep the upper sill black brick?

Brick Sill.jpg

Can you recess the brick sill but not the lintel?  I noticed in this picture I took, the recessed window with the white brick sill looks funny with the lintel recessed.  The other window with the black brick sill doesnt look good with the sill not recessed but the lintel looks better not recessed.  Any ideas?

Sill 1.jpg

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

How do you get each component of the brick sill to be two different textures if I wanted the lower part of the sill to be the white brick like the wall but keep the upper sill black brick?

Chad,

Use a stacked molding and you can then apply different materials to each molding in the stack.

This has all been covered in othwer pots in this thread. 

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Can you recess the brick sill but not the lintel?  I noticed in this picture I took, the recessed window with the white brick sill looks funny with the lintel recessed.  The other window with the black brick sill doesnt look good with the sill not recessed but the lintel looks better not recessed.  Any ideas?

Sill 1.jpg

Chad, once again, you can use a molding profile for the lintel as well. It is quite common here to have the lintel boxed out in wood...especially in older homes. I had one made but don't know what happened to it so I made another one in 15 to 30 seconds.

Ext. top lintel.jpg

Thanks Tommy and Glenn.  Yeah when I went to go in 3d to paint the sills it just colored the entire sill the same color so I guess I have to go into the DBX and change it manually.  I just turned some base trim into a symbol for millwork and then used it in the treatments section as a lintel.  Id love to see an overhaul on some of the cumbersome dbx's that are getting dated in that you have to use a bunch of work arounds.  In the meantime at least were finding some alternatives, Im happy about that!

• 1 year later...

Premier X12 / Windows 10 operating system

I did not see comments on the brick sill issue since March 2019.

I am rookie on CA. But looks to me like X12 fixed the issue of a gap from boundary lines when applying the moulding poly line object as a brick.

Program will place brick molding nicely in the brick wall.

I had easy time with the task for brick sill by following SNestor video.

Stacked molding with filler may still be good advice though to make area under sill appear more realistic and look like mortar instead of cut bricks.

Bricks in this picture are old "standard" brick trimmed to be a 4" Length maintaining 2 1/8 " Height / 3 3/4" bed depth.

Of course, make the bricks in the sill be a course. (No pun intended.)

Brick Sill.one

• 2 weeks later...

I have not applied all of the solutions in Support article KB-00797- Creating a Soldier Course, but this may also help anyone on brick ledges or arches.

I did apply the first one " To create a basic brick with mortar".

It worked.

I believe that Chief support assumes that you know that these instructions are in 2D mode for Steps 1-6.

You must view in 3D mode in Step 7 to see resulting brick you just created.

• 3 weeks later...

Would appreciate some guidance here for creating a brick soldier course at top of exterior brick wall for as-built in Premier X12.

I was advised I could do it by a wall cap or frieze. But I have not been able to create it that way. KB-00796 does not provides any guidance for this application/design type object in my experience. But could be my errors.

Plan is attached to view current progress and the wall.

My experience and observations of applying KB-00797 in attached file:

Applied window lintel on large window and window lintel and the sill on small window via Window dbx in camera views. Working Plan view had to be utilized for the customized sill (architectural block) on the large window. KB-00796 works in this regards.

*Note that my brick color needed and chosen was from CA library (Red Used Mixed Brick or Red Used Mixed Course Brick). This object looks good on the wall but does not visually transfer correctly to lintel or sill depending on use of brick object as a polyline solid molding or as an architectural block. Bricks also will stretch or will not display correctly for my needs depending on which one is applied using this objects pattern and texture.

Part 1- results in the brick as polyline solid for a brick and mortar object. Hard to decipher what polyline solid dbx input for thickness and height and elevations would be if a different CA library brick was chosen that was closer to actual brick dimensions is applied, i.e. brick in as-built is actually (per ASTM "Face brick (“house brick”) dimensions" ) 8" length(long?) x 2 1/4" height(high?) x 4" width(wide?). Hard to tell sometimes which meaning CA is applying to height and length or width in dbx.

Part 2- results in brick soldier course created as molding to be applied to surround a window top and sides. Like a tiled design. Small window in pic.

Part 3- results in brick as angled sill as an architectural block object. Works as a molding in small window, but may need to adjust size to look better and prevent gap at bottom. Caveat for large window- unless exploded and customized as architectural block object as shown in large window the brick molding type object stretched and looked incorrect. Also cannot get color pattern and texture to display correctly as architectural block.

Part 4- a work in progress on the arched course as I also need that one for one window.

As Built view Brick wallv3.1.png

POPECHATEAU2020 AS-BUILTCURRENTv3.1.plan

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Steve.

I'll try those methods.

Also, I counted 14 bricks in your sill. Looks like this is a constraint in Molding Specification DBX for an increase in window size.

For instance, double the window width size and sill soldier count count stays at 14 soldier bricks.

But this is not technically or esthetically correct as quantity of bricks should increase relative to width of window.

Say 28 bricks for doubling window width from 35" to 70".

Also, does not change if windows are doubled and then mulled into a single unit.

Ht 2 x Wd 5 for sill.PNG

Ht 6 x Wd2 for sill.PNG

OK

Maybe I fixed it by applying Reference Number: KB-00194 Changing the Direction of a Material's Pattern and Texture cause it looks good now like SNestor's picture.

KB-00194 also explains rendering views of vector and standard.

In Define Material DBX I adjusted texture angle to 180 degrees, adjusted Scale and checked Retain Aspect Ratio to get what looked to be accurate results for a brick course Texture.

Live & Learn. Day by Day.