roof pitch question

ablackmon81

Hi! Very new to CA and I am finishing up my 2nd plan.  I had Chief draw the roofline of a complicated layout and I was able to make most of my changes successfully; however, I don't want every section of this roof to be 9/12. When I try to manually change the sections that I want to be 12/12, for example, the roof becomes de-segmented. There must be a way to do this as roof lines are not always one pitch.  Any help is appreciated!!

Also, if Auto Rebuild Roofs is active, the pitch of an individual roof plane can be changed within the wall specification dialog box associated with that plane, and Chief will automatically keep the edges of the differently pitched planes together.

After Auto Rebuild Roofs is deactivated the pitch can still be changed this way but it won't change the model until Auto Rebuild is reactivated, at which time any manual edits are lost.

Just now, ablackmon81 said:

Ok, I will try that as well.  I am making a pure mess of this roof. :angry: Thank you!!!!

The "problem" with Auto Rebuild Roofs and Auto Rebuild anything is that making manual edits requires turning off the auto function, and you can't turn it back on without losing the edits.

Chief teaches you to approach disabling Auto Rebuild with much grave consideration. :D

Good luck!

On a complex roof, it is often faster to do it all manually.

this is up for debate ...

first let me state that I don't do roofs, other than very simple ones

anything beyond that I send to my friend/partner

In the Chief Intermediary class the instructor stated and demonstrated that even very complex roofs can be

done via the autobuild

Chief recommends starting auto then going manual - "as necessary"

others recommend starting manual and staying manual

Lew

• 5 years later...
On 1/5/2024 at 3:51 PM, willgrantii said:

Why will mine not let me select these? Using x15 

If you mean that those two options are not highlighted for you to be able to use them, you possibly don't have the "Build Roof Planes" box checked off. Under the Build Roof Tool, or double click the Roof Plane Tool, either way will open the Build Roof Tool as the roof plane tool's direction comes from the Build Roof Tool. There really is no need to retain anything if you aren't auto building it, that is maybe why you can't select them.

723470027_BuildRoofTool.thumb.png.df0acd3e98fcbb1a92aa1a966ef6eb75.png555720028_CheckedBox.thumb.png.f4a857c024f823e773874c873a8100e4.png