kal152

Can't get a doorway to sit flush

I cannot get a doorway with no casing to sit flush against a perpendicular wall. It has no casing yet will not get closer than 5" from the wall to the left. Why is this?

Capture.PNG

set your casing to 0 and you can move it closer to the wall

• Upvote 2

Thanks, that is silly you have to do that when the casing is turned off

Just now, kal152 said:

You don’t actually HAVE TO do that.  You can also go into your Plan Defaults and check “Ignore Casing...”

It is silly to have to turn off the casing and change the number, I really don't like to use the ignore the casing option, or you will see the casing imbedded into the wall in floor view. I always like it the way it's built, you can always widen the hallways to accommodate whatever casing you might have. Your contractors will scream at you if it's not correct.. If your plan calls for 6" or larger casing, you need to plan for that. Real world conditions rules. I realize in the condition you stated it doesn't matter b/c it's an opening without any casing.

Kal could also, break the wall in plan view, and pull the left section up in cross section/elevation view

to achieve the look

Doorway fluch against wall.jpg

On 1/6/2018 at 0:26 PM, kal152 said:

Turning the Casing Off via the Checkbox can cause visual issues in 3D views particularly with Garage doors where it often shows as the Jamb "flashing" as you move the camera , so it is better to set it's width and depth to 0" ( I think it resets to 1/16th auto.) to avoid this.

Like Michael,  I always use the Ignore Casing Setting , you just need to realize it is on.... or turn it off if the Job mandates Full Casings everywhere.

M.

What about having the base molding within the doorway? Is there an easier way to do this than using a custom molding line? 

Capture_no base at doorway.JPG

52 minutes ago, Anna_Gorres said:

What about having the base molding within the doorway? Is there an easier way to do this than using a custom molding line? 

Capture_no base at doorway.JPG

Perhaps your wall(s) isn't quite aligned with the Doorway?  it seems to work for me okay ...Post your plan and someone will look otherwise...

6.JPG7.thumb.JPG.ae695923ad6e6221fc8837f24e87f2ad.JPG

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    andycay
    Newest Member
    andycay

• By cajunland
      Issue in X12 when using break tool to adjust wall for an extension over a column.
      Bare wall end fir stud and overhead framing stud can be seen in wall section instead of drywall.

See attached file/pic.

I do not believe soffit is viable solution as I am seeing that soffits will not frame.
      So framing is important.

Many thanks to Solver as he addressed this issue and resolved it for my needs by applying different wall types to the wall area drawing. I posted my original files as reference and Solver's solution file (1868954996_MHD_sampletemplateplanSolutionWallEnds).
      And the solution frames out too as can be seen in file with camera Perspective Floor & Perspective Framing views.

Wall End Issues.plan
      1868954996_MHD_sampletemplateplanSolutionWallEnds.plan
    • By Upward1
      please tell me how to calculate the length of all the walls
    • By ChiefuserMathews
      Is it possible to create a wall type as attached in the image?. This is for a roof top patio partition wall. Could some one guide me please.

• By ChiefuserMathews
      Hello, I am wondering why is the garage foundation wall does not show/appear in the basement (level 0) floor where there is a door above on the first floor? (Plan attached). More over the location I have clouded shows the wall clearly, why it is not displaying at the other locations?
      delete-garage wall.plan
    • By SpeleoWorm
      I have created a number of different wall types to show proper dimensions (i.e. when one side of the wall is 5/8" Type X and the other side is 1/2" drywall) as well as to calculate the correct material counts and to show the proper information in the schedules.  Unfortunately doing that seems to have a down side...it changes the framing as if they were separate walls instead of the same wall with different materials on them.  I have seen the following side effects (colors refer to screenshots below):

(Green Arrow) In unfinished rooms such as an attic storage space which only has a subfloor but no drywall, the walls get pushed up into the rafters by what appears to be 3". (Red Arrows) The floor joists and top/bottom plates are cut in the middle when they should be continuous pieces of wood.  In addition, you can see that the walls which are produced are not boxed at the end...the top & bottom plates stick out at the end. (Purple Arrow) Parts of the gable wall are not created.  In this case you could argue that it is not needed, but if a builder makes a wall he is not going to leave a hole in it. (Blue Arrows) An extra stud is added to a room that has no drywall, and therefore doesn't need nailer studs.  In addition, it looks like the other stud needed as a nailer for the finished room in the middle is missing from the plan view of the framing (see 2nd screenshot).  
      Am I doing this all wrong (creating separate wall types), or is there a way to use them and fix (any of) the issues I mentioned?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS - I am a little surprised that the wall finish is not part of the room settings (like the floor & ceiling already are)...that would allow you to have continuous walls and still have different materials in each room (i.e. greenboard in the bath, 5/8" type X in a garage, unfinished in an attic, etc.

Example of Wall Issue.plan