Conical Roof With Radius At Eave Results In Chief Stalling

AlwaysEastern

Go to solution Solved by rlackore,

Sorry David, I was using "even" as an adverb. What I was trying to say is that when adjusting "angle at eave" using the curve roof setting in the dbx  - chief doesn't crash but it just stalls until I have to force quit. I have tried many eave angle settings (large and small) to no avail.

I select the whole roof using roof planes tool and shift select - then adjust the eave angle -  in hopes of getting what's pictured.post-255-0-88700500-1406069622_thumb.jpg

post-255-0-80271800-1406069155_thumb.jpg

• Solution

What you want to draw is what CA calls compound curved roofs. You need two roof planes (where you've drawn only one), and only the lower plan is defined as "curved." Check it out in the manual - it's all explained there.

You can also make that roof with a molding polyline.

The one benefit of using a molding is that the roof surface (when made with roof planes) will always look somewhat funky in vector view. You get all these unwanted facets when it gets sent to layout.

PS...I'm also guessing that this method is way cleaner and reduces the probability of Chief stalling out per your initial post. Example...look at the size of my plan which is posted post versus the size of the example using roof planes. It's a fraction of the file size.

1. Take a cross section of the roof shape...draw the profile from the tip of the ridge right down to the eave (on the left side of your cross section)....and save the line as a molding profile.
  2. Draw a radial line around the tower in plan view and convert it to your new molding profile
  3. Change the material (of the molding) to roof.
  4. Go back to section view and tweak the settings as needed to make the shape read correctly.

Note...you'll have to add moldings for the fascia and gutter in the same way as you made a molding the roof. Make two more circular molding polylines.

The little dormers (in the photo) can be made with walls and conventional roof planes no problem.

post-77-0-60456500-1406128231_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-79066700-1406128397_thumb.jpg

tower molding profile.zip

PS...I'm also guessing that this method is way cleaner and reduces the probability of Chief stalling out per your initial post. Example...look at the size of my plan which is posted post versus the size of the example using roof planes. It's a fraction of the file size.

Your plan file is zero kilobytes.

Have you thrown a shingle texture on the molding? Does the pattern and the texture display better than when using roofs?

Thanks everyone! First time having to build one.“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” ― Dr. Seuss.  I should have known better. I will build this later today along with a catslide roof. I am looking forward to it!