crosscutter55

dimension to sheating

Recommended Posts

when i draw an  exterior wall & place a floor joist at a random distance parrelel to that wall how do i get a dimension to show from the  sheating 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Include the sheating as part of your main layer in the wall definition but unfortunately then you will not be able to dimension to the exterior of the stud.  If you just need to do it once place a cad line where you need to snap to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can change the Dimension Defaults to make it do it  , but that would cause CA to dimension that way all the Time ...though you could change it back after working on a particular area if needed I guess but it's not usual as Chopsaw alluded to , as it would be physically hard to actually do this Onsite, unless you are talking about a Deck joist?

 

- you need to change the the Wall definition Dimension Layer to the Sheathing (OSB/PLY)

- and set your Dimension Default to the Wall Dimension Layer  ( in each Scale eg 1/4", 1/2" 1/8" etc as needed.)

            -and possibly do the same for your Temporary Dimension Defaults depending how they are set up.

Capture81.JPG

Capture82.JPG

Capture83.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could also use a manual dimension line.  Just draw a dimension going from the wall to the framing, select the dimension and drag the end to the wall sheathing.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dermot said:

You could also use a manual dimension line.  Just draw a dimension going from the wall to the framing, select the dimension and drag the end to the wall sheathing.

 

Dermot, 

 

What settings are required for this to work, as this is the solution that would be required the majority of the time. Is there a resource that explains this?

 

The solutions that Mick and I suggested are sort of all or nothing situations that are rather limiting.  Yours is perfect if you could explain it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

 

Dermot, 

 

What settings are required for this to work, as this is the solution that would be required the majority of the time. Is there a resource that explains this?

 

The solutions that Mick and I suggested are sort of all or nothing situations that are rather limiting.  Yours is perfect if you could explain it.

 

I suspect Dermot may not be realizing that you guys are probably all referring to an inner sheathing layer (as opposed to the outermost surface of the wall). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I suspect Dermot may not be realizing that you guys are probably all referring to an inner sheathing layer (as opposed to the outermost surface of the wall). 

 

I certainly hope not.  But this could also be the perfect opportunity to write some new code so it does work as described.:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dermot said:

You could also use a manual dimension line.  Just draw a dimension going from the wall to the framing, select the dimension and drag the end to the wall sheathing.
 

 

Don't dimensions lock to the Wall dimension Layer OR the Surface automatically?  which means you need to change the wall definition to dimension to the Sheathing or the Dimension string just ignores the Sheathing.

 

@Alaskan_Son    personally I was referring to the outer surface of the Sheathing ...the back of the sheathing would be the same as measuring to the Framing....

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

personally I was referring to the outer surface of the Sheathing ...the back of the sheathing would be the same as measuring to the Framing....

 

 

When I said inner sheathing layer I didn't mean the inner surface of sheathing I simply meant that it was a sheathing layer that was not on the exterior surface in the wall definition and therefore its not a layer we can simply snap dimension lines to without adjusting wall definitions or using CAD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one method if you really need this capability and you need the dimensions to update if your wall is moved...

 

Apply a material region to your wall that is the thickness of your sheathing layer and set to cut Finish Layer Of Parent Object.  In elevation view drag it down so that the whole thing is below your wall.  It will essentially disappear and you will only be able to select it in plan view but you will be able to snap to it and it will move with your wall. 

 

This technique can be used for other offset dimensions related to walls as well where you don't have any other usable snaps such as window sills and casings, door casings, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27489
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    ChiefRochelle
    Newest Member
    ChiefRochelle
    Joined