Wall Center Dimensions

country

I have my manual dimension defaults set for interior walls center measurements.  When I run a dimension string it picks up everything correctly but!!!!  If I try to extend the string or want to pick up another wall that is offset I cannot snap to the wall center.  It goes to either side of the main layer.  If I move the diamond selection handle in and out on the wall, it will occasionally pick up the center but I haven't been able to find where that exact point is to make it work on a regular basis.

I have double checked with the defaults and that I have it correct in the Annotation Set that I am using for my CDs.  I have searched for a solution but haven't found anything to help.  I find, doing construction document dimensions that I need to do this to simplify the plans for the contractor but it is taking way to long with this hit and miss problem.  Do I have to do separate strings of dimensions for this, line them up and delete the double dimensions?

It works fine.

Assuming in your settings Dimension>Dimensions>Currently Active Dimensions Default>Edit>Locate Objects>

Wall Options = Both sides

Walls = Walls Dimension Layer

Locate 

Framing

Centers are Checked.

Lets say I want to move edge to edge manual dimension  to a wall CL. When I move a diamond app draws the centerline in the middle of the wall.

Once intersected, move the diamond along the centerline and let it snap do not try to snap at the intersectopn. Done.

Auto-dimensions work as expected and so does manual as long as I don't try adding more after they are placed.  There seems to be a location on the interior walls where it picks up the center point but not at the joint where it intersects the exterior wall.  I can always get it to work with some guesswork but I guess I have to work out the point that it picks up.

I have everything turned on that is needed so I'll hunt up a video on dimensioning when I I have a few extra minutes.

I'll also try a couple different plans as this one has been brought forward from X8 for final Con Docs.

@Brown Tiger.  I've found dragging the diamond along the interior wall eventually finds the center but I'd just like to know if there is a simple location instead of dragging the mouse until it snaps

If I can't work it out, I'll post a plan!

@Brown Tiger.  I've found dragging the diamond along the interior wall eventually finds the center but I'd just like to know if there is a simple location instead of dragging the mouse until it snaps

Come on. drag straight and slightly down. It takes only one second

Sherry,

It is your snap distance that controls the snapping to the wall centre.

Turn off you grid snaps.

In Preferences...Edit...Snap Properties...Options...Snap Distance - change this to something like 5 and see what happens.

I think this will depend on your screen resolution and your zoom level.

Have a play with the setting as see what works best for you.

Is it presently set to 20? - I don't know what the OOB setting is.

• Upvote 1

My snap distance setting is at 6 and grid snaps are off.  If I zoom right in, slowly drag down the wall, I can get it to snap but it definitely takes longer than 1 second!

I opened one of my plans that I started in X9 and it was exactly the same.  I will keep trying.  For now, using a seperate dim. string and lining it up is faster if I have more than 1 wall to pick up.