Average Roof Height Calculation

Guest Constantin A

Guest Constantin A

Hello,

Is there a way in Chief Architect (Premier X9) to automatically calculate the average roof height?

Regards,

Constantin A

If you mean the kind of calculation for zoning and building code "Height, Building:  The vertical distance from grade plane to the average height of the highest roof surface" - we just strike a cad line in an elevation view and dimension it that way.  A cad line will snap to "Mid" at the top of that wall.

Be aware that some code officials want it at the midpoint from ridge to face of wall, not to eave.  So documenting in section is going to give you a level of clarity that avoids future issues.  In this one it was to eaves, so I didn't dimension to eave and ridge.  Code officers that want it at face of framing will require those additional dimensions.

And no - there is no automatic way.  And yes you could do a macro, but this is faster.  Sometimes you'll spend more time doing all the setup for the "easy" way than if you just did the Quick and Dirty!!!  

Sotirovic_average_roof.png

23 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Joe, aren't ridge heights right in the roof DBX, I see it. most of the time anyone can use that info. and work with that. You must admit a macro would be faster than manually done.

While those are in the roof dbx, they are not available as attributes that would be needed for a macro. 

Yes, if those attributes were available, a small macro could be used and simply added to each Roof Plane Label. 

Note that there isn't a "Default Label" for Roof Planes, so it's not something that could be set up in a Template.

6 hours ago, johnny said:

This discussion on roof calc is something i could use greatly as well. I hope Chief lets you guys use that data in the future.

There are some calculations that can be done - but they are limited to areas and pitch.  The Elevations just aren't available to Ruby.