Psolid questions

ACADuser

OK back working on 7 story building and I have a few questions about dealing with columns.

I used psolids for the structural concrete columns. The one I am dealing with was 12x8 & now is 12"x10" and have 3 on the outside wall each floor on floors 2-5.

They are on Layer 'Columns Plan View'. When I pick select one I see the layer at the bottom of the CA window.

When I marque select one I see 'CAD Layer; CAD, Default' so I assume CA is not smart enough to detect a single object & display its layer. (more of an observation)

It also gives me the option to Make Arch Block which is kind of what I was after.

I actually want a Block so I can populate all the identical columns and change the size later in all locations at once.

Say I want them all to be 12x12, I would remake the block and they all would change.

Perhaps I chose the wrong object type for this process.

This is just one of a series of columns I want to make identical for the purpose of being able to change them as a group.

Some guidance would be appreciated.

Sorry for the rambling.

Thanks

If its a simple enough object you can also use a slab, a countertop, and/or a framing member and then you can make a CAD Block out of the object.  Doing this will allow you to replace all instances of that block with the modified version.  The 2 biggest problems we currently have with this method is that we have little to no control over the point around which the other instances are resized, and after modifying the CAD block you have to group select the others and manually change the size factors back to 1.00 and 1.00.  I think its still a method worth looking into for some situations though.

Thanks for the replies.

One thing is I do not want it to move in the plan except where I modify it.

If the column is 12x8x120 tall and I move the north side 2" to make it 12x10, I would like the south side not move at all.

Can that be done with the Insertion Point fixed on the middle of the south side?

That way if I wanted it 14x10 I would move the east & west side 1" each & the north side 2".

The south side would remain in its original place.

I use point markers for the center of the columns.  I then place the columns on their own layer.  If the size needs to change, I delete the old ones and place a new one with the altered size.  I then copy that one and go into "sticky" paste mode.  Click on each of the point markers and it will be placing the new size at the old location.  It is not automated, but it is very fast and it is really obvious if you missed one.

Good suggestion, point markers may be of use to me too.

These particular columns justify to the exterior face of the wall and not to a center point.

The marker could be still used on the outer face of the column I suppose.

In Autocad you can edit the block in place, no explode & re-block.

Then all blocks in the drawing are updated. Quite simple. No jumping floor to floor looking for the blocks.

23 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

In Autocad you can edit the block in place, no explode & re-block.

Then all blocks in the drawing are updated. Quite simple. No jumping floor to floor looking for the blocks.

Yup.  Better/true instancing abilities.  Something some of us have been requesting.  Hopefully we'll get it sooner than later.