Unable to write to the directory - HELP

NARDesignGrp

I just reinstalled my Chief x9 to my larger D drive because my C drive was in danger of filling up.  I can open a drawing and do anything but when I try to close it, I get this error message:  "Attempting to write the Master List File.  Unable to write to the directory "C:\Users\alia\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X9 Data\".  The file cannot be saved."    I am confused because I installed everything on my D drive so why is it wanting to go to the C drive?  And how do I fix it?  Thanks! 

Capture.JPG

Chief's Data folder is always in My Documents ( unless you specify otherwise ) , it doesn't matter where the Program is installed , CA is trying to Update the Materials Master List , even if you don't use it , in the Root of the Data Folder.  You will see a file called mmaster.mat , try renaming it to mmaster.mat.old   (so you have a backup) and let CA recreate the File next time CA Closes.  If that does not work , then I would assume you have a Windows Permissions Issue and CA can't write/save anything to that Directory.

If like me you have ALL you Plans/Textures/Images etc in the Data Folder , the My Documents Folder could well be Multi-Gigabytes Large , So I used Windows Ability to Move the location of the Libraries to D Drive too ( or E: or F: etc) . You can also use this feature to move the Pics/Videos/Music/ etc Off C: Drive , which can free up a tonne of space on C:  if for example you have a small SSD as your OS Drive.

Do NOT move your User Folder ...that can cause issues ..... it's pretty easy to do here is a Tutorial I used at Ten Forums for My Documents , the Tuts. for the rest are in the links at the bottom but it is the same Process.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-documents-folder-move-location-windows-10-a.html

Capture16.JPG

Capture17.JPG