RayTrace Errors After X9 Library Crash (again

Kbird1

Unfortunately X9 crashed on me again while I was in the Library after I decided to tidy up my User folders while I waited for some RayTraces I was trying o get out to a Client.

I lost 4 Raytraces which I had not Autosaved when Finished as I like to Adjust the image as needed 1st before saving. So I have learnt another hard lesson from a X9 Crash while using the Library as the Crash took 4 hours of RT with it :( 

To make matters worse the Plan and several Archives of it, all now refuse to allow RT to run with the Error Message Below, it  isn't very helpful but I am wondering if anyone else has seen it before? 

The Existing Plan will RT but not the Proposed Plan(s) for the Project.  

So far I have emptied the Temp folder as it had some RT Folders in it , but that hasn't helped , neither has using one of the Archived Plans available , there is a bunch of Undo Plans in that folder , should I clean that folder Out too?

Anyone have any other ideas?  this is One i have never seen before....

M.

Capture8.JPG

Capture9.JPG

Thanks Chopsaw ...no that link went nowhere ....seems like I always get errors with no link in the KB. :)  there is no such folder as mentioned in the Message.... and rebooting etc has not helped.

the Existing Plan doesn't have any of the Proposed Work  so nothing to RT for the Client ....I guess I will just have to send Standard View Jpegs perhaps... The Revisions just won't be as nice as the few RT's I sent Friday for discussion.

Just about every Crash I've had in X9 has been while in the Library, I  think I had the same issue in X7 for a while too....

Just a follow up for now . The BOTR plan we were using as a Test to learn from is still Raytracing as normal , so it would seem the Crash has corrupted my Current Project Plan somehow , so I will submit it to Support Tomorrow, weirdly it seems fine otherwise , it works as expected , it just won't allow a RT anymore, even from a new camera's view.

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Just a follow up for now . The BOTR plan we were using as Test to learn from is still Raytracing as normal , so it would seem the Crash has corrupted my Current Project Plan somehow , so I will submit it to Support Tomorrow, weirdly it seems fine otherwise , it works as expected , it just won allow a RT , even from new camera view's.

M.

Send me the plan kbird and I'll do a render from Thea for you.. help you out for your clients.. gotta keep the Rep up :)

save the camera views you want and I'll get you a couple renders back, shouldn't take more than an hour 

Mick - I have encountered this error in the past. It seems to be related to there being insufficient light for photon mapping to function. If the scene runs with photon mapping turned off then check your light settings, ambient light and ambient occlusion to see if something is amiss. If you did not place any active lights in the scene then possibly your crash corrupted the auto generic light, if so then just place real light in the room to see if it will run.

@Renerabbitt   Thanks Rene I really appreciate your Offer but it appears Graham is onto something with there not being sufficient light even though I did have a Recessed Can On. Strangely though it was RT-ing just fine before it Crashed, set that way , but is working again now as seen below.

I did have the 3 Recessed Cans in the Ensuite On but reduced that to just the one over the Shower ( behind the Camera) being On, knowing I needed a "light source" in the Room, so I have turned them all back on , and the Sun, as I had turned off the Sun for some views as it was causing a bright light flair off the Glass Shower Door in RT coming through the Window and he Sun wasn't needed for the Shot really.  I had also turned off the 4 Sconce Vanity light as it was causing a bright light flair on the Ceiling ,in the image below, even with only 1 light of 4 On set at 3% Custom ( that is caused by my settings I think for Direct light and Ambient though, I need to play more)

thanks Guys , I appreciate the help.

Mick.

Edit: I wish the RT autosave was smart enough to number autosaves consequentively instead of asking me for a new location each time....

you just need to change the filename , not the location....

Vanity View1.jpg

Mick - Very low % intensity settings can cause what you are experiencing. Seems to vary according to the type of light source. I have often found that anything below 3% can cause the photon mapping to fail unless you have other active lights that are above this. One way I have been able to get around this is to change the color of the fixture to some gray scale level. This effectively reduces the light intensity for a given % level which you can then be used to extend the lower limit without setting the intensity % below a recognizable level.

Hi Graham , thanks for that info , I'll add it to my RT Notes , maybe it is a coincidence that RT failed after the Crash ?  I had set the Sconce to 3% (per your settings previously ) on one of the 4 lights only and was still getting a Halo of bright light on the Ceiling , so I set it to 1% ( didn't help) before turning it off like in the Image above. 

So I guess it is possible the One Can set low like 3% just isn't enough....I'll experiment some more

Thanks for the Heads Up

M.

Hi , I tried changing the Light Shade Colour by altering the material  (Ombra Sconce) is that what you mean ?  Does the bulb Colour make a difference too?

CaesarStones Quartz Countertops apparently need their Properties adjusted too,  judging by the high Sheen in the pic above , that doesn't look like Pebble in R.L. to me, in fact STD View looks closer :)

M.

Just now, Kbird1 said:

Hi , I tried changing the Light Shade Colour by altering the material  (Ombra Sconce) is that what you mean ?  Does the bulb Colour make a difference too?

CaesarStones Quartz Countertops apparently need their Properties adjusted too,  judging by the high Sheen in the pic above , that doesn't look like Pebble in R.L. to me, in fact STD View looks closer :)

M.

It's the color of the actual light source, it's right under the light intensity % setting. The shade material should be ok as per it's original setting.

13 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

It's the color of the actual light source, it's right under the light intensity % setting. The shade material should be ok as per it's original setting.

Doh !!! how many time haveI looked at that **** DBX and glanced right over that ...just now even... thx let me try that.....

10 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Mick - For the Caesarstone drop the reflection down to maybe 6% and increase the roughness say 70%. Their products have an almost honed surface appearance.

Thx again was just trying 20% and it's still way too "glossy"

Appreciate the Help ...onto the Shower Stall next....

M.