section views SLOW and SPORADIC

mtldesigns

I usually wait to do section views towards the last of a project, after client has a chance to review model.  Three projects after upgrading to X9 last month, and I figured I'd ask now.. WTH.  Is it me or are they really, REALLY slow now.  AND, why does the curser jump around like I have snaps on (as it would in AutoCAD).  It reminds me of watching a movie, where the mouth moves, but the words do not match.  Usually these go fast, at least they did in X8.  I have no other issues with speed, cameras are good, ray traces are good, plan updates are good.  So?? 

I'm not seeing any slowing like you , try tech support on tues. You might just have a corrupt symbol or something simple. What kind of video card do you have and number, maybe you have to upgrade it?

19 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

I usually wait to do section views towards the last of a project, after client has a chance to review model.  Three projects after upgrading to X9 last month, and I figured I'd ask now.. WTH.  Is it me or are they really, REALLY slow now.  AND, why does the curser jump around like I have snaps on (as it would in AutoCAD).  It reminds me of watching a movie, where the mouth moves, but the words do not match.  Usually these go fast, at least they did in X8.  I have no other issues with speed, cameras are good, ray traces are good, plan updates are good.  So?? 

Is the  problem your plan or your computer?

I think you should post the plan,  let someone compare it,  if it is slow  on our computer,  then it is a CA//Plan issue.  If it is not slow on our computer,  it is your computer issue.

That is where I would start.  Is it a CA issue or is it your computer that is the problem?

• Upvote 1

I agree with DS Hall in that since we, none of us are having this problem it can be assumed that it is your hardware or your way of 3D modeling that is the source of your difficulties. Having a copy of your plan will make clear one way or another what is what. I have learned over the years to avoid methods that cause problems. That took me years of trial and error to develop. When I have unsolvable problems I do not ask here. I ask Tech Support for help and have always received it when I seldom do ask. None of us here are psychic nor do we have special powers to understand. Like any physical scientist we use evidence to figure things out and verbal data is not evidence of anything other than one's opinions and ability to confront and understand something.

DJP

Hi there gents..  I was so bogged down I ended up closing most of my other programs to complete my project.  Now that is done, and I am getting ready to start another one, I figured I'd show you what I am working with.   Attached are my systems and video card info.  AND lets get this out there, I AM NOT A COMPUTER GEEK..  I have some basic knowledge, but that's where it ends.  I design..  I come to this forum for your inputs and advice.. respectfully.  My first step is to find out if what I have under the box is suffice.  If so, then I will go to tech support.  They were not around this past Saturday when I asked the question out of frustration. 

Thanks.

settings.PNG

video card.PNG

The main bottle neck you are having is the dedicated VRAM of your video support (256 Mb dedicated) if you look over the suggested "Minimum Hardware Requirements" listed on the Chief Architect Inc website it states: 

Minimum:

• Multi-Core Processor CPU
  • Video Card: 
    • At least 512MB of dedicated video memory
    • OpenGL 3.3 or higher for a Windows-based PC
    • OpenGL 4.1 or higher for a Mac
  • 5GB of available hard disk space
  • Internet Access
  • 4 GB memory (RAM)

Recommended:

• 16 GB memory (RAM)
  • 50 GB of available hard disk space
  • 4 GB or 8 GB gaming video card
  • 64-bit Windows 7 / 8 / 10
  • Mac OS 10.12 / 10.11 (Sierra / El Capitan)

Your video card does not meet minimum specifications as above and is most likely the source of your slowness. My video card has 2 Gb of dedicated VRAM and it is rather old but still performing. It makes a HUGE difference in general performance.

DJP

Thank you for the eye opener.  My step son is coming by later and we will be ordering a new vram.. aiming at the 8 gbs. He has enlightened me also, and he's a gamer..  I attached a ray trace render.. turned out nice, 14 passes, all internal lights were turned off, not a lot of reflective materials, yet it still took 6 hours to run.  And section views are the worse..  So I know its what you guys mentioned above.  Time to step with the big boys!

52717 NE EXTERIOR 1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a new computer and the curser jerks around and moves slowly like it's stuck in syrup. I replaced a an 8 year old computer which actually ran Chief better than the new one. The new specs are i7 with 8 gigs of memory and NVIDIA 4 gig graphics card. I checked the memory and updated all of the drivers. Anyone know why Chief ran better on the old one with less than half of these specs? Chief tech support was of little help.