Cricket framing over existing roof

Boxon1

Quick tip...

If you're going to use the solid method, you can make your life a lot easier by starting with a BOX.  Draw it in plan view, then rotate it in elevation to match your roof pitch, and then LASTLY...rotate it in plan view to match your valley.  You can then offset as necessary and use boolean operations to trim it.

Oh ya, and P.S.  I believe "cricket" is an incorrect term for that situation.  A cricket or saddle is a roof designed to direct water shed around an obstruction like a chimney, a wall, or another roof plane. 

• Upvote 1

"LASTLY...rotate it in plan view to match your valley."

Michael,

I think this last move will keep the 2x12 from laying flat on the host roof.

I like the idea of using roof planes better. They can be shaped in plan view, raised and lowered in height and will maintain the correct pitch. But I had a hard time showing the roof planes as lumber with the framing overview since they turn off/on with the other roof planes no matter what layer they are on. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles

7 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

But I had a hard time showing the roof planes as lumber with the framing overview since they turn off/on with the other roof planes no matter what layer they are on. Any ideas?

Charles, Not sure I understand what is happening with your situation but if you put those Roof planes on their own independent layer and call it something like "Roof Plane - Valley Plates"  and turn it on in your 3D Framing Set  then everything should work fine with that method in X9.

Yep, now they are showing. It seems I am having trouble with delays in views updating. Last time it was lingering floor surfaces after I turned them off. Even F12'd them.

But that is the way to do the valley rafters in my opinion. . . with roof planes.