Recessing A Symbol Into A Wall

Joe_Carrick

We can actually do this.  Do you know the trick?

It's not what you might think.  It's just a matter of properly defining the Symbol and placing it on the wall.  The correct answer will be posted in this thread with an example at 5:00 pm PDT today.

We can actually do this.  Do you know the trick?

It's not what you might think.  It's just a matter of properly defining the Symbol and placing it on the wall.  The correct answer will be posted in this thread with an example at 5:00 pm PDT today.

Great puzzle. I assume the answer would be redefining the origin.

If I am not mistaken, the wall will be in front of symbol. IOW, the wall with a fill will hide the symbol that has a fill.

A perfect usage of this would be a medicine cabinet. However I do not think this will work for a wall niche.

I will await the answer with bated breath.

Not perfect, but the best solution to date, thanks JC.

The problem is that when CA set up the Symbols they provided the 3D offsets in x, y, & z - but there's no corresponding offset for the 2D CAD Blocks in the x & y directions.  I've asked CA for this to be automatically adjusted (2D Block should match the 3D) but so far, no one at CA has indicated that they'll do anything about it.  It shouldn't be that difficult to program (2D is always easier than 3D) but ?????

Just thinking about this...... Suppose you put a 2'x2' window in a wall, and by adjusting the sash to 12" wide, and adjusting its location in the frame, you suddenly have a niche with a backing and the backing can have an interio rmaterial and a different exterior material.

Just thinking about this...... Suppose you put a 2'x2' window in a wall, and by adjusting the sash to 12" wide, and adjusting its location in the frame, you suddenly have a niche with a backing and the backing can have an interio rmaterial and a different exterior material.

That should work, but it's not the same as recessed bookcases, toilet paper dispensers, medicine cabinets, ironing boards or niches with arched tops.  With my method virtually any 3D configuration can be recessed into a wall.  The actual wall cutout can be sized smaller than the symbol itself, so if there's a part of the object that isn't recessed (frame or flange) you still get the correct opening size.

I like your solution.

One problem is that any window symbol will be framed in the wall detail and get a header, which is not what you want for toilet paper rolls and most medicine cabinets. Of course, you can always edit the detail.

For small items, I found that using a material region of the same size as the symbol works best and you can locate next to a stud, or in between.Problem is that  you only get one chance since if you delete all layers of a material region in order to "cut" the hole, it's no longer selectable.But still a good quick fix for the 10% problems.

Thankx for the suggestion.

I did a little experimenting with Scott's idea.  ie: using a Standard Fixed Window

To make it work, you make the Sash as small as possible and recess it up to the full wall thickness.  Then you set the Sash and Glass to the same Material.  You can use an Arch if you want and suppress (or not) the Frame and Casing.

One of the biggest problems that I've found however is that Chief doesn't allow us to reverse the inside/ouside of a window as *** does with doors.  So maybe using a door is a better solution to the simple alcove type of recess - but you can't use custom symbols and you can't control the depth of the recess.

Seems there's more than one way to skin this cat - but each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Nice idea Joe - does the cad concern make a call for the ability to adjust the horizontal cut plane of floor plans ?

In general, Chief cuts thru all Windows on a Floor.  This is a case wher if you want something to fill in the hole that Chief cuts in the wall (Plan View) then it's CAD to touch it up.