Board And Batt Siding

Joe_Carrick

Thanks Joe  , I assume they are in X6 though right ?  dag nam it ! 

Mick.

Yep,

So just crete a Molding Pline 36" long with (about 24" tall) Batt Molding on it.

Now Convert that to an Exterior Furniture Symbol (Hangs on Wall, 0" above Floor).

Do the same for 48", 60", 72" & 96" widths.  If you want, you can do 12" and 24" widths as well .

You can even add a 1x2 at the top and bottom but if you do that, you should set a stretch plane at z=6" so you don't stretch those 1x2's when you change the heights.

Yep,

So just crete a Molding Pline 36" long with (about 24" tall) Batt Molding on it.

Now Convert that to an Exterior Furniture Symbol (Hangs on Wall, 0" above Floor).

Do the same for 48", 60", 72" & 96" widths.  If you want, you can do 12" and 24" widths as well .

You can even add a 1x2 at the top and bottom but if you do that, you should set a stretch plane at z=6" so you don't stretch those 1x2's when you change the heights.

Thanks JC appreciate the extra instructions , I had tried making a few of my own and it wasn't working so well :) ,

will give this a go tonight......

Is this something you learned the hardway  or am I missing part of the Manual somewhere for more insight on molding and symbol creation ?

Mick.

Mick,

Creating Symbols in Chief is really not that big a deal.  Whatever you display in 3D can be turned into a Symbol.  The trick is to decide what kind of Symbol - Molding, Exterior or Interior Furniture, Exterior or Interior Fixture, Door, Window, etc - and then learning what the "Stretch Planes" do.  It just takes a little bit of experimenting.

yep it is the stretch plane stuff I wasn't figuring out when I made my 3D B&B symbol panels , although I set them all and could change their sizes they didn't actually change size for some reason in the 3D views... never done any 3d modelling before so probably have all the X,Y,and Z stuff mixed up is my guess, so I'll keep playing.

M.

Mick

Set the following Stretch Planes:

y=2 

z=6

Do not set one for x.  This will make them stretch uniformly in width.

In Options, check "Sits on Floor" & "Hangs on Wall".  Then set "Height above Floor = 0".

Been thinking about this. Seems like you build it all with 2d molding similar to a handrail.

The big problem with both method is going up side of gable end.

Scott,

You're always looking for the more difficult situation - but it's a valid question.  I can do it but the method is different.

Essentially, this requires using a 3D Molding PLine (vertical on the elevation in question - and just placing the 1x2 Batt Molding on that PLine)  The PLine can be repeat copied and individually stretched up to the gable.  It's a bit more work but it's the best I can come up with off the top of my head. :P

Until Chief comes up with a real board and batt siding I will be using something close from the lib. Just too much work, I'll just note the correct siding for now. You can adjust the texture to get 24" or 16" batts.