Room Dbx, Structure Tab, Ceiling ?

Joe_Carrick

I am having a difficult time figuring out exactly how the Ceiling Structure and Ceiling Finish are supposed to work.  The relationship of these elements and the resulting values for the Ceiling Heights don't make much sense.

Can anyone explain how it really works?  I can't even get it to be consistent from room to room.  Generally, I find that Ceiling Structure is irrelevant and that only the Ceiling Finish seems to build down from the bottom of the Floor or Roof structure above.  Why can't we just specify a desired Ceiling Height?

Scott, it's time for a good video.................

In earlier versions of Chief you had a ceiling height setting and a lowered ceiling setting which did not vary from room to room, unless you manually changed thoses settings.

We asked for finer control and we got in it the guise of input boxes for floor covering and ceiling covering.

Past that I am not sure what you might accept as a "solution" that is implied by your post. From my point of veiw that is what they did and it works quite well.

DJP

David,

Please explain the Ceiling Structure definition.  I can't see that it does anything at all.

I can edit the Ceiling Finish to something like this:

10" Air Gap

3-1/2" Fir Framing

5/8" Drywall

Which builds below the Floor Structure above.

However, no matter what changes I make to the Ceiling Structure, it doesn't effect anything.  Maybe you see something that I don't.

Just looked at this again - something seems to have changed.

The Floor camera will not see any ceiling finish framing -- even with "all on". The Full camera works OK.

The finish framing must be rebuilt with the ceiling framing tool unless auto framing is turned on.

Other then that -working OK for me - Tried your arrangement and works to create a framed lowered ceiling.

You probably know -- but for others -- Ceiling structure is not used if there is a floor above but works as advertised if no floor above.

I hate having to thicken the ceiling drywall to get a lower ceiling to show correctly but there is always a ceiling plane, oh wait, it won't show anything on the face of that lowered ceiling. Of course none of it frames correctly.

Here is a vid.  Maybe you already figured it out.

The mystery to me in this vid is why the ceiling framing for the FINISHED CEILING sometimes frames and sometimes not.  Run into this before,  had not notice the problem recently,  but in this vid it resurfaces.

Again my issue is trying to get the ceiling framing for a CEILING FINISH to frame.   Another one of those elusive mysteries that we should not even have to discuss.

http://youtu.be/dWrChSbf0U4

not a great vid by any means.

I have just given up, and use a ceiling plane where needed. Scott, does your method also provide a dw cover on the open ends of a partial dropped ceiling?

No,  what I do is the CEILING FINISH is enclosed in a room,  where I have an opening,  I use a doorway with casing suppressed,  I do  not use invisible wall.

OK, I now have a better understanding. 

1.  Ceiling Structure only refers to "Above the Top Plates" below the Roof.

2.  Ceiling Finish refers to any ceiling below the Top Plates and can include various material layers, including Air Gap, Ceiling Joists, Furring, Drywall, etc.

Programmer's Terminology in this case simply confused me.