Calculating Cut And Fill Volumes

LevisL

On the project I'm currently working on, the client wants a walkout basement where we don't have enough slope in the grade to easily accomplish one. I'm trying to calculate cut and fill volumes to see if it's possible to make the walkout work by building up the grade on one side with the dirt excavated from the basement. Long story short, I tried calculating this manually and got really confused and frustrated, thinking there's gotta be a better way (not to mention quicker)! The cut volume was easy to figure out... area of basement x average depth into the ground, but then calculating fill volumes when the grade slopes down and away from the house and there's an existing cross-slope to deal with, well my eyes kinda crossed too!!! 

Just curious to know if any Chiefers out there have figured out a clever/workaround way of calculating cut and fill volumes with the tools we have in Chief. 

Why does the terrain dbx have a volume that shows 0 cu.ft no matter what thickness you make it?! Just having that number would make it easy to calculate what I want.

post-108-0-32372300-1402354070_thumb.png

I've done this about a year ago and made a video on this. Essentially , you take cuts through  the foundation using p- solids and following the terrain contour. i added macros to add up all the solids volumes to eliminate math errors.

Works extremely well, if your careful and have only one slope direction. Two slopes (left-right & up/down) need to use solids subtraction -- so not good in that case.

Typically takes about an hour -- so may not be "worth it" over a good guesstimate. Other than that, this has been a long requested feature. Don;t expect it any time soon!!

Thanks for the reply Gerry. I had found your post in old ChiefTalk before posting on here (http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?57706-Chief-Cut-Fill-Workaround), but unfortunately, the links to the videos no longer work. Would you mind re-posting them here if you still have them?

If only Chief would give us the volume of the terrain, then one could note the volume before and after modifying the terrain and do a simple subtraction to calculate fill volume. Seems to me like it shouldn't be too difficult to extract that information from the terrain, but then again, I'm not a programmer!

Gerry:

nice video

but very tedious

I agree, no reason that CA can't program Chief to do the calcs

one question

after placing the 20 slices you added breaks to adjust the PS to the terrain line

then repeated that 20 times

why not, adjust first one then replicate 20 times ???

Lew

Because every slice will have a slightly different terrain profile depending on the slope and "bumps" in the terrain at that slice (cross section). So everyone needs to be adjusted.

Copying the first slice after creating a profile may or may not be quicker and closer to the other slices. Pick your poison.

One thing I did not reinforce was the necessity to rebuild the terrain before any slice edit. Chief would say you do not need to do that,but I've seen some weird stuff.

This is one area where Chief does not really have the tools needed to do this type of work efficiently.

For example, in TurboCAD Pro Platinum you can take the terrain exported from Chief as dot 3DS file and convert it to a solid and then it is relatively easy to subtract the foundation volume.  One thing I have been tinkering with is trenching for utilities.  I have a project now that I will be doing this on in the next week or two.

Another very interesting thing that can be done with terrain is to slice it horizontally in  and then extrude the profile in order to get a stepped terrain like you would get when building a cardboard model.  This is also a bit tedious to do, but it can be worthwhile for the effect you get.  Remember, this is not just a rough approximation of the terrain, it will slice the actual contours.  For those who may be interested, I am refering to this a slice because that is what it is, but technically it is done using sectioning tools.

Once this is done you can then import the modified terrain back into Chief as a Symbol if you want.  I am finding that there are also many other interesting things that can be done with some good solid modeling tools that are currently available in other applications.

Another very interesting thing that can be done with terrain is to slice it horizontally in  and then extrude the profile in order to get a stepped terrain like you would get when building a cardboard model.  This is also a bit tedious to do, but it can be worthwhile for the effect you get.  Remember, this is not just a rough approximation of the terrain, it will slice the actual contours.  For those who may be interested, I am refering to this a slice because that is what it is, but technically it is done using sectioning tools.

Once this is done you can then import the modified terrain back into Chief as a Symbol if you want.  I am finding that there are also many other interesting things that can be done with some good solid modeling tools that are currently available in other applications

There are also lots of things that can be done with Chiefs tools.

Why go to other programs when you can do it directly in Chief?  :)

This is done very easily in Chief.