Rotate plant image

Charlie

Charlie,

I don't think it is as easy as just rotating the image - which you can't do.

Even if you could do it easily, I think that you would be disappointed with the results as the image would have no thickness.

Another problem is that Images imported into a plan view, do not display in 3D views.

Your only hope would be to create a material from the picture and apply that material to a polygon solid, slab or similar.

But even then, it would be pretty dodgy.

You can extract the image from the Chief file and create the material pretty easily, but as I said, I doubt that it will do what you envisage.

Probably better to use a 3D plant from the Bonus library.

I have attached the image file that I extracted if you want to have a play yourself.

Thanks, This is what I have thought about, but I could not track down the image file.  I think this might work as I want to see the plant from above.  I will look for the 3D plants. I remember them from past versions, but have not seen them lately.  They were render hogs as I recall.

This works pretty well.  Could use a higher resolution on the image, though.  Where is that image file in CA?  I did three slabs with the image and angled the texture on each one to fill in the look.

post-501-0-76480200-1401461271_thumb.jpg

post-501-0-79127900-1401461279_thumb.jpg

post-501-0-27403700-1401461288_thumb.jpg

Charlie,

The image should be here:

C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X6\Referenced Files\CorePlantFiles.zip#zip:Hedera-helix2.png

To confirm, place the plant in a plan, open it's dbx and on the Image panel under General, you will find the path.

This works pretty well.  Could use a higher resolution on the image, though.  Where is that image file in CA?  I did three slabs with the image and angled the texture on each one to fill in the look.

Hey Charlie,  a comment,  your renders looked "MUDDLED",  I wonder why.  Back in the day I would get that kind of muddled look but I don't get it  too much anymore.  I wonder if it is your computer hardware or lack of lights or the sun is in the wrong location.  But if you are interested in finding out why,  post the  plan and I will see if I get the same muddled look and if so,  see if I can figure out how to make it look better.

You know I have been the 2 minute man,  a 2 minute raytrace is all I can wait for and for the most part they turn out pretty good,  unfortunately due to my ADD I am now the 3 second man,  I shoot a RENDERING,  save as a JPEG,  and that is good enough for me.  With the new quick shadows in X6,  the renders are pretty darn good......  well good enough for me and my clients.  I finish up the revisions for a client,  print plan to PDF and take about 12-15 renders for a kitchen remodel,  takes about 37 seconds and my clients love me.

Anyway,  post the plan  if interested and I will take a look at it.

dshall,

It's the sun location. My rear elevation renders real well and that was the one I was after.  I have noticed that the quick shadow will look great on one side and pretty bad on the others, but I rarely go to trouble of moving the sun around (sounds superhuman!).  I usually set up my plan to have the primary elevation at the bottom of the screen and this seems to be how CA has oriented it.  I will look into it and might find a better default location.  I need to play with lights more - I really don't fool with them too much.

System hardware should be good -

GeForce 770

Core i7 CPU    920 @ 2.67 GHz12 GB