Looking for suggestions

Larry_Sweeney

Over the last three years I've been working on a project for a customer and it has taxed my knowledge of using CA and the capabilities of CA. I now have to make a model of the entire original structure and add some "period" additions to a already large structure for the period of it's construction. This 1890's home was considered "the cottage" by the original owner. I'm not quit sure how to go about best accomplishing the two details shown in the attachment and am asking for help from the knowledge base of this forum. With much patience I think at some point I would be able to come up with something. I'm just hoping someone on the forum has had experience in dealing with details like this and are open to passing on advice.There will probably be other items in the future I'll be asking about on how to do, but for now this is a start. Many thanks up front for advice.

post-76-0-54779500-1400677439_thumb.jpg

Larry:

some quesses:

I have seen threads and mention of ways to recess windows and doors via settings

never done it but check for prior threads or check the manual

the window "bump-out" would probably need to be a molding polyline symbol type of shape

applied to the wall

there were threads on how to create tapered walls by using standard chief walls \

and then applying the "taper"

just thoughts from my memory :)

Lew

For the window, I'm not quite sure how to "wrap" the shingles back into the window.....special designed casing symbol? Getting the regular siding shingles to line up with the "wrap around" shingles will probably be the hardest thing.

What makes the area above the "bay" tougher is that you have to "add in" the flare out that is positioned all along the first floor ceiling level line. This flare, I think, could be accomplished by a molding p-line. It's the extension above the bay along with the shingles and then lining up those shingles with the "regular" siding singles of the exterior wall that has my hair falling out.

I have no idea how to get either of these to work without getting an extra line in vector view. You can probably do what you mentioned and get a rendering to work well as long as you don't use the technical drawing or water color with lines.

For the window, if you recess the window that depth and make the casing with the radius it seems quite doable to get that look. You may need to do the same with a lintel that has the shingle texture in order to get the square profile at the head.

Here's a plan with those elements modeled. I'll try to make time to recreate it in a video, though I dont have a mic so it wont be narrated.

This solution is a bit sloppy due to my rushing. I think with some time in the modeling it could work fine. The txture on the curved shingle may be tough to get to match the wall shingles.

post-65-0-99327300-1400683092_thumb.jpg

Larry Bow & Recess.zip

I like Kevins approach. I tried to make casing work and it does not look happy. The attached image shows a cheat with molding but the texture file lines differ from the vector lines. The polyline solid approach seems like it might be more flexible in adjusting for the texture offsets.

post-170-0-73189100-1400684398_thumb.jpg

post-170-0-85906400-1400684450_thumb.jpg

Nice solution DSH.

The end wall of my plan has a failed attempt at using a normal window in walls. Your two opening idea solves the part I stumbled on and solves the mess of psolids I would have needed to get the interior right.

Here's a link to the video (silent movie) for Larry to see how I created the shingle flare over the bow window. http://youtu.be/HVBX1CLeTfg

I think the key with the flare is to have Chief build the roof to the curve, even if that means doing it in a separate plan an pasting it in. Make sure to set the segment angle to 6 degrees to get the best curve.

I needed to adjust the texture to get the shingle coursing to match. I think I would edit the lines in layout rather than try to get the hatch pattern to match, but I didn't fiddle with the hatch.

• Upvote 1

Scott ........Many thanks for the video on the window. The way I was thinking of doing it would have been much more complicated.

Kevin........Many thanks also for your video also. I need to watch it a few more times to absorb everything. The video goes much faster than my brain. :)  I also liked the music, but miss Scott's commentaries, but then again, there is only one Scott (at least I hope so)   ;)  . Your roof video has me on the right track. I have to work on the "flare" at the drip as shown in the picture, but I'm up to the challenge (with a strong cup of coffee beside me and Chieftalk a "click" away) I love working on these old Victorian homes. They challenge me and CA with their architectural details.

To all..........I always appreciate anyone who takes the time for "handing" out advice. Time is something we never get back. Have a GREAT day!