Why doesn't window trim sit against wall main layer?

SNestor

Chief Architect is a program controlled by settings. If you want the window to be attached to sheathing you set it that way on the "Options" tab and if you want it attached to framing you set it so. If you do not control it it does however it is set or not set to do.

DJP

What David is saying is that under Options you can designate it as...

-Not recessed at all (uncheck recessed) in which case the casing will sit on top of your outermost exterior layer.

-Recessed to Sheathing Layer in which case the casing will recess to the surface of your first exterior layer.

-Recessed to Main Layer in which case the casing will recess to the surface of your outermost main layer. 

Thanks all...I knew I had missed something.   I very much appreciate all the help.   :)

What David and Michael said. You may want to make sure you don't have negative values for overlap of frame or it protrudes into window space. 3/4" frame minus the overlap is your reveal.

attachicon.gifwindow 2.jpg

As far as the negative entry for the casing...This gives me a 3/8" reveal on the jamb.  If it's set to zero...then the casing finishes flush with the interior surface of the window jamb.  A positive number moves the casing inward....past the surface of the jamb and into the window opening...so, I think I want to leave it as a negative number.

post-227-0-85227500-1466044779_thumb.jpg

Steve, are you using jamb extensions on your build/design? What you are revealing is the drywall. If you use jamb extensions or want to show it as such then make window frame fit to wall. Then you would use positive number for reveal. In the attachment jamb on left is your window untouched and on right is frame fit to wall with 3/8" reveal also recessed to sheathing layer.

post-3379-0-14237300-1466049303_thumb.jpg

Steve, are you using jamb extensions on your build/design? What you are revealing is the drywall. If you use jamb extensions or want to show it as such then make window frame fit to wall. Then you would use positive number for reveal. In the attachment jamb on left is your window untouched and on right is frame fit to wall with 3/8" reveal also recessed to sheathing layer.

attachicon.gifwindow jambs.jpg

Jerry,

I see your point...and I've gone ahead and mades some adjustments.  The window in my model is supposed to be a vinyl single hung.  The window has a jamb...but the opening is drywall wrapped.  I want to case the window....but I would always have a "reveal"...even if the jamb of the window is just drywall.  If the jamb of the window "fit the wall" then there would be a positive number for the casing location...probably 1/4" or 3/8" so that the casing overlaps the jamb.  

I did have the exterior casing set wrong...so with your help I have fixed that.  Thanks for helping me out!