Sign in to follow this  
country

Notch Stairs around wall.

Is there something simple that I am missing? I have a 2x4 wall under the stairs to close off the basement level but I would like the 2x6 wall to continue right through with the handrail stopping at it.  I have tried reshaping the wall but the stairs still cut it.  i will post the plan later if necessary but am hoping someone can point me to a video or thread that I cannot find.

Sherin Stairs.pdf

Sherin Stairs2.pdf

Sherin Stairs3.pdf

Thank you.  I'll give that a try.

In days of yore, we used to use very small landings (say, 1/16" of an inch) at junctions like this, with a separate flight above and below the landing. Might try that if nothing else works.

I'll try that Richard. I cannot get the winder method to work and have some time on this job to try fixing this on my own.

Instead of using 2 separate walls (1 2x6 and 1 2x4) make it one unique wall with both walls.  That will help with the "cleanliness" of the 3D view.

Then I basically split my bottom run of steps into 3 parts.  1 set of steps going up to the wall, 1 landing the size of a step, and then another that goes the rest of the way to the landing.

That should get you most of the way...

post-237-0-70390300-1463492785_thumb.png

post-237-0-78420500-1463492790_thumb.png

post-237-0-82798300-1463492795_thumb.png

Untitled 1.zip

Jonathan's method is the one I use also. I think this is the area CA really needs to give us some help with.

Have a great week,Ken

This plan is my afternoon project so I will try the landing method and see how that goes. This is a pretty standard set of stairs so I am surprised it is not easily modelled.

I'm confused why winders won't work. Maybe I don't understand exactly what you're trying to achieve, but here are the settings I would propose:

Make the lower run winders:

post-95-0-09754600-1463574590_thumb.png

Then turn off the handrail at the wall:

post-95-0-42394400-1463574601_thumb.png

She wants the wall to continue under the steps...similar to how it would be built.

She wants the wall to continue under the steps...similar to how it would be built.

Okay. Couldn't that be taken care of in plan view with a dashed CAD line, and in 3D by unchecking 'Open Underneath'?

It requires a work around, same as others but posted plan.

I disagree. My solution is not a work-around - it uses Chief's standard tools. But, again, maybe I don't understand what the OP is trying to achieve.

Hey Rob,

I believe (from looking at her pictures) that she wants the lower portion of the stairs closed, and the upper portion open.

If you uncheck "Open Underneath" it changes both sections to be closed.  Unless there's a way to change that...

Hey Rob,

I believe (from looking at her pictures) that she wants the lower portion of the stairs closed, and the upper portion open.

If you uncheck "Open Underneath" it changes both sections to be closed.  Unless there's a way to change that...

Isn't that easily taken care of by simply disconnecting the upper stair run from the landing?

post-95-0-56909100-1463608568_thumb.png

workspace.plan

Hey Rob,

Isn't that easily taken care of by simply disconnecting the upper stair run from the landing?

attachicon.gifstair 3.PNG

attachicon.gifworkspace.plan

Actually, all you have to do is Shift select and change the one single section of stairs.  No need to disconnect them from the landing.

Actually, all you have to do is Shift select and change the one single section of stairs.  No need to disconnect them from the landing.

I did not know that. Even easier. Thank you.

psshhhh....and here I thought I was somewhat of a "power user".

Great tips, thanks Michael.

I'm not even sure at this point what I need...... This upper set of stairs is over another set going down to the basement. They are mounted between walls and I am only having a problem with the section closest to the entry that will be extended out over a sloped wall to finish underneath and have a railing that extends up and stops at the 2x6 bearing wall. I will have a look at all of these posts and try to work it out. Too many jobs and not enough time right now!!!

Thanks very much for all the great input.