Drawing Walls Without Getting Fractions In The Dimensions

capitaldesigns

I'm new to Chief. I am using S7.

When I draw walls and use automatic dimensions I keep on getting fractions in the walls dimensions.

I keep getting fractions like 1/16" and 15/16".  I have the grid snap setting set to 1". I have even created

a wall that shows the studs as 4" wide instead of 3.5" and drywall and stucco set to 0" thick. When I place

exterior and interior walls along with doors and windows I still keep getting fractions in the dimensions.

Is there a way to place the walls, doors and windows that match the grid snap settings?

I used a Disto to measure remod's to 1/16

create model to 1/16 where it mattered - 1/2" where it didn't

when creating final permit set - I would display to 1"

unless the fractions mattered

for new construction tried to keep everything to 1"

doing fractions only when it mattered

Lew

The following applies assuming that you are using Chief Architect Premier X7.

There are a lot of reasons why your walls may not be falling on even increments. 

One common reason is that you have accidently turned off either your grid snaps or angle snaps.  Your grid snaps are completely independent of your reference grid that displays on your screen.  Working with angle snaps turned off is not recommended except under very special situations.

Another reason is that you have modified your "dimension to" layer in your wall type definition.  Or your "Resize About" settings in your General Wall Defaults.  Or your Locate Object settings in your dimensions.  Changing any of these settings can change where your dimensions locate your walls without actually moving any of the walls.  For example, if you draw your walls using dimension to the framing and then change your dimensions to locate the surface, they will probably not be on even increments.

Another reason is that you are drawing angled or curved walls.  It is always going to be more difficult to have all of your dimensions on even increments in these situations.

In any case, if your walls are not exactly where you want them, it should be easy to position them where you want them by using your dimension tools.  Click on the wall you want to move, then click on the dimension that locates it, and then type in the exact distance you want.

As for windows and doors, these are not automatically going to be placed using any grid snaps.  You will have better results if you place them close to where you want them and then reposition them by typing in the exact dimension you want.  Note that when you select a window or door, you should see a temporary dimension locating the nearest wall or other object.  If you click towards either the inside or outside of the wall, the temp dimension will be on the same side of the wall.  It should be pretty easy to get them exactly where you want them.  It is usually helps to make sure your walls are accurate before you try to accurately position your openings.

If you are still having problems, try posting a plan indicating exactly where you are having problems.  I am sure someone here will be able to quickly help you.

If all else fails, contact tech support.