keithhe

Sketchup Import Issue?

Recommended Posts

I have imported quite a few skp files into CA without much issue, until now. In this case the item I wanted, looks perfectly normal in Sketchup, comes into CA "exploded" ,in pieces that is, and although I can see the individual items, can't "unblock" in CA to even try to put it back together.  

 

Is there something new I'm missing? I have done complex and simple imports before, but this is happening on several items I just tried. Tried to "make component" in Sketchup and that didn't help. Again, looks normal there, whacked and locked in CA.

 

One case in point is here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u6bf3fe8a-55cd-48af-988d-a2c2314ef302

 

Any Sketchup folks here that might have a clue?

 

Thanks,

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael,

 

I guess I have some questions then. What version of SU are you using? What, if anything, did you do in the import process (there in SU and while into CA)?

 

Thanks,

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael,

I guess I have some questions then. What version of SU are you using? What, if anything, did you do in the import process (there in SU and while into CA)?

Thanks,

Keith

I have Sketchup 2015 but I didn't use Sketchup at all. Just dragged and dropped 2015 version of the model directly into Chief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had never just done a drag and drop, and didn't even know that you could do that, versus using CA import. But, results are the same for me?? Clearly I'm missing something as I used the 2015, and also using X7.

 

See what I get when it comes in >>>

 

 

 

post-489-0-59469500-1449161836_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-48231900-1449161837_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes!  That's bizarre.  Not sure what to say about that.  You probably aught to contact tech support.  Looks buggy to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If its something that just started happening recently my guess is that its related to something you've recently changed.  Have you added or changed any software or hardware lately? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael,

 

Thanks for your assistance on this. For you, and all that may encounter this, here is what I did "differently" that caused this and how it now works. I had been bringing this in to the existing plan that I needed it in, a Central American Metric Plan I'm needing this on. The key, I think, is it's metric, whereby I usually just do imperial. I brought it into a "New" plan, imperial, and it works just fine.  

 

The other possibility, is that it simply needed to come into a "New" plan, but I have gone direct to existing plans before many times without any issues. Not sure, but in case anyone else has this issue in the future.

 

Thanks again Michael, as you telling me it worked for you got me to think what was different between what I was doing, versus you. That helped me figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you got it figured out.  For what its worth, I don't think it has anything to do with new plan vs. old.  I actually tried doing it both ways and it worked just fine.  Maybe it was the metric thing...or maybe it was just a corrupted plan file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost had to be the metric thing, as I had tried numerous downloads of the file, before posting here, and all did the same thing. If this was created in a imperial units format, the metric thing may have just screwed it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be something with your PC or I'm not sure what format you saved the file or what format you used to export. I downloaded into Sketchup Pro 2016 and saved it in Sketchup 2013 SKP format and imported to CA without issues.

 

 

post-4069-0-24207700-1449172854_thumb.jpg

SDMO Generating Set.calibz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be something with your PC or I'm not sure what format you saved the file or what format you used to export. I downloaded into Sketchup Pro 2016 and saved it in Sketchup 2013 SKP format and imported to CA without issues.

Greg,

 

It had to do with bringing it into a Metric Plan. It works fine coming into a Imperial Plan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be helpful to create a support ticket and add the plan where it does not work. That will help future users avoid the problem if it's something we can fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27501
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    B1k3rm4n
    Newest Member
    B1k3rm4n
    Joined