HaywardVT

Can "Build Roof" be used more than once and with different settings (for attic trusses)?

I'm trying to create attic trusses with heels over a garage, to do that I need to change settings that I can only find when using "build roof" (Roof Height, Trusses check box, and Raise Off Plate/Birdsmouth) How can I change these settings for just above the garage and not my whole building? I can't find a way to use "build roof" on just a section instead of everything. 

I have suggested that we be able to place an edit area marquee

and the "build roof" would only apply there

but ???

Lew

You can manually move just the garage using "Edit Area All Floors" and it should move everything on all floors, just be sure that all the objects and their layers you want to move are checked on when you do so.Be sure and leave out anything you do not want to move out of the marquee select area.

DJP

I think this a very good point/request and it would be great to be able to select an area where tools like roofing works without disturbing anything else. This would be particular useful with multiple buildings on the lot such as garages and guest houses, etc. but also remodels where you are working on one portion of the house but are done and happy with the rest.

Just select any roof planes you want and select the little framing icon in the edit toolbar and just those roof planes will rebuild.

David: How exactly do you use the edit area tool? That seems like it might work but it doesn't do anything but disappear after I make the box and try to edit something. 

Drawzilla: I'm pretty sure the build framing button just builds the framing inside the roof plane, it doesn't really have anything to do with trusses and slope; unless it restores everything back to default when it builds the framing, but I don't think it does.

Unless I find another way, I'm going to build the garage in a separate plan and copy/paste it into the house plan once all the roofs are done.

It doesn't have anything to do with trusses, but it tells the program how to build the trusses which you must do manually, you can always force a re-build of any truss by checking the box.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WaunakeeDesigner
    Newest Member
    WaunakeeDesigner

• By marinus
      Custom home and mostly residential remodel general contractor in Bellingham, WA is looking for a Lead Designer with extensive experience in computer drafting to join our firm.

Our office space is small and informal, but this allows us to offer a competitive employment package with benefits.

We are looking to hire a professional with experience drafting architectural projects - from the initial designs to permit plans. This self-motivated candidate must have excellent communication skills in order to collaborate with clients and co-workers alike.

You should have a thorough understanding of building components, green building, and good working knowledge of architectural construction documents in residential new construction and remodeling. We are looking for someone who has good problem solving skills and is able to self-manage.

Qualifications:
      • 5+ years of experience in construction/design
      • Strong technical skills
      • Proficient in Chief Architect, AutoCad, Revit or equivalent experience required

Responsibilities:
      • Draft residential (some commercial interior) building designs, details, and permit plans.
      • Check for code compliance, coordinate with consultants/permit officials/contractors and develop construction details

• By CharlesVolz
      OK guys, Kerry Francis of Garage Door Wizard fame emailed me over the weekend and said that he does not plan on improving the program because the demand does warrant the work required. 

However, he is allowing me to sell Version 2.10.0025 of the program that works on with Chief Architect Premier X9 and Windows 10. To keep the cost and trouble down, I will sell the program for Kerry on the honor system. You send me $20 via PayPal to CVRE@sbcglobal.net and I will forward you the program via email. No sharing, warranty, no returns, no crying, no whining. Please let the rest of us know if it works or not on your computer setup by posting on this thread so others can decide whether to buy. 

Upgrades are $20 also since there is no way to monitor registered users. Kerry said that the price back in the day was $35. So it is a good deal. Kerry was nice enough to allow me to distribute this because some of us asked for it. I am just trying to contribute to you guys and gals on the forum who have helped me by participating on the forum.

Regards,
      Charles
    • By 9atatimer
      I'm using X11 premier on a mac -- I have an exterior garage wall (with a centered garage door) and a gable end -- I'd like to split the attic wall of the gable end into 3 parts -- the central region above the garage door, and the left and right, to have a different material above the garage door.

I have Default Settings > Roof > Auto Rebuild Roof set to Off
      I have Default Settings > Framing > Automatically Build Floor and Ceiling Framing Off on all framing types.
      I have Default Settings > Walls > General Walls > Auto Rebuild Attic Walls set to Off

If I delete the roof and ceiling planes with Build > Roof > Delete [X] and then use the Build > Roof > Build Roof ... dialog to rebuild the roof and attic from scratch -- I leave the Auto Rebuild Roofs set to Off, to be clear -- and then edit the resulting gable roof on the attic layer, I can split it twice to produce the three separate wall sections, but once I change the exterior material on any of the sections, the three wall segments get replaced with a single wall again.  The new wall has my selected material, but that does me no good as I need the distinct secgments.

Anyone know what setting do I need to turn off to maintain the manually edited gable end?  Or is this a mac bug?

Or, barring that, does anyone know what approach will let me give the desired finish detail (attached a pic of a freehand elevation)?

• By blueriver
      I'm using Chief Architect Premier X11

I have all these little 'X's can someone please tell me how to get rid of them?  I've been really playing around with the roof and i THINK they are from that but at the same time i have a couple random ones outside where the roof is -- i cannot get them to go away. Help!

thanks in advance
      Lauren