Can't Build a roof :(

ladycoralie

Go to solution Solved by HamlinBC,

Hi Guys, I'm trying to build a roof for this house. To me it looked like a simple design but it is obviously more complicated than my skill set. The roofs are in the right direction for the house in the pic, but I'm trying to make them both Cape Cod style with the roof joining the 1st floor walls. Does anyone know how to achieve this? I've tried checking "Ignore the 2nd floor" in the build roof dialogue, but no luck so far. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers and thanks.

post-4721-0-52767100-1446989813_thumb.jpg

Mtn Cabin.plan

Well unfortunately I haven't downloaded X7 yet so I couldn't open it up.  Looking at your picture and what you state I take it you want the rafters on the 1st floor wall (1st picture) not on a plate on the 2nd floor system (which is typical around here - Cape Cod).  Just multiple select all of the roof sections you want dropped and drop them the correct amount until the birdsmouth rests on the 1st floor plate.

Keep in mind if you do this you're moving the headroom in from the outside wall about 9"-12" inches (depending on pitch) each side affecting full height ceiling square footage.  Also it looks like you have a door going between sections?  Will it still fit if you drop the roof system to the 1st floor plate?

post-137-0-18939200-1446994568_thumb.jpg

post-137-0-02939000-1446994578_thumb.jpg

You can raise and lower a roof plane or a whole collection of roof planes, by selecting what you want to raise or lower, and using the transform/replicate object tool, moving the selected roof or roofs by entering the appropriate value in the z direction box.

That is the quick way once you have the roofs built but want to change things.  To get the roofs to build the way you want, before placing planes or doing auto-build, you'll need a good clear understanding of specifying and building walls, and doing room specifications.

Lady, you need to sketch out what you are trying to achieve. That building is not working very well at the moment. If your plate height currently is what you want for the roof then the rooms upstairs are unusable. The plate height for the upstairs rooms probably need to start at about 60" minimum for those spaces to have a fighting chance.

Okay, I have probably gone about this the wrong way. I drew a second floor plan and then attempted to put the roof on. From what I can see in roof design - chief architect video, and the suggestions here, I should do it the other way around. I will try that and see how I go. Sorry that I don't understand everything you guys say at first. It takes me a while to go through everything and look up the meanings and definitions of what you are suggesting. I'm not an architect - just an amateur home builder - or hoping to be one if I can ever get a plan off the gorund. I'll keep plugging away until I get it right though. Will keep trying your suggestions. Just takes me a lot of time though.

Cheers and thanks again. :D

The auto Roof works OK if you set the walls up first.

Select the gable end walls, the 2 obvious ones.

Open the DBX, then roof then check Full gable End.

On the wal that has a gable & a side roof you will need to BREAK the wall.

Then select the gable section of the wall & set it to Full gable End

OK now build the roof.

Select all the roof planes & use the Transform/Replicate tool to set a Z-value of say 6 feet to raise the roof allowing room for the second floor.

Mtn Cabin.plan

Okay this is where I'm up to now. I followed solver's advice and built a more simple structure. Just a rectangular cabin. I think the main confusion for me is that the video on youtube from CA and the article are different and use entirely different ways to generate this roof. I had no luck with the video at all. I followed them step by step to make a roof by - build new floor,

generate from 1st floor,

then build roof and check "ignore top floor".

Only problem was that every time the roof would end up on the first floor with the 2nd floor sticking through.

I then went through the article and I think what I was missing was making the 1st floor walls full gable as well. I thought it only had to be from the 2nd floor plan. So I went ahead and changed them.

Then I built the roof - ignoring the top floor- and then went and changed the ceiling height to 24" in each room.

Next, I rebuilt the roof, unchecked "ignore top floor".

I then went and reset the ceiling heights to default by checking the box corresponding to finished ceiling height and

Voila! I have the Cape Cod Roof.

Now I just have a wee problem with the walls sticking through the roof, but not as much as before. I've attached a pic so the problem can be seen. Not sure how to fix this one, so if someone knows what I've done wrong, please tell me how to correct it.

ACADuser, thanks for the tips, I will try that once I master the simple one first.

Cheers all.

post-4721-0-76885400-1447745919_thumb.jpg

I guess maybe I'm just too dumb to see where the problem is...

I downloaded your plan, adjusted the pitches on the roof to be higher so that you can actually put a room-in-attic, and then raised everything about 1'.

I did also change your attic walls so they weren't pony walls.  You get really weird results if you have pony walls for attic walls.  I also did some general cleaning up of your plan (i.e. straightened walls, changed interior walls to 2x4, etc...)

See attached.  You'd be surprised what overall cleanliness of plans can do...

Mtn Cabin.plan

I guess maybe I'm just too dumb to see where the problem is...

I downloaded your plan, adjusted the pitches on the roof to be higher so that you can actually put a room-in-attic, and then raised everything about 1'.

I did also change your attic walls so they weren't pony walls.  You get really weird results if you have pony walls for attic walls.  I also did some general cleaning up of your plan (i.e. straightened walls, changed interior walls to 2x4, etc...)

See attached.  You'd be surprised what overall cleanliness of plans can do...

Hi HamlinBC, and thanks so much. That looks beautiful. I just needed to know how to do it and couldn't find the right instructions in the knowledge base and the video from Chief didn't help me either. I am a complete newbie at this and I am not an architect. I'm learning everything as I go, so I expect I have probably made heaps of mistakes.

Our idea is to build a house mostly out of ICF to save money on labour costs which are enormous down here in Australia. That is why the interior walls were ICF as well. Also the idea that it is cool in summer is very appealing as that would save on cooling costs. Where I live, summer can last for over 6 months and it gets bloody hot. Is it not okay to have ICF interior walls? I know they have to be aligned with the wall below because of their weight, but if it is better to have 2x4 I better adjust it I suppose. Just not looking forward to the extra cost of framing there.

I didn't know about the pony walls for attics. I was just trying to achieve a half stone wall look, which is what I want in the end, and don't know how to achieve that in Chief unless they are pony walls. Is there another way to get this look? with ICF our plan was to render the outside walls with half stone and half stucco. We can get stone from the local quarry pretty cheap, so it will be a D.I.Y. process.

If you wouldn't mind explaining to me how you "adjusted the pitches on the roof to be higher so that you can actually put a room-in-attic, and then raised everything about 1'", and got the two roofs to join so they don't have gaps and weird walls poking through, step by step - think "Roofs for Dummies", I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again for the new plan. It looks fabulous and what I was trying to originally achieve.

Cheers

Coralie

Ok, here's the video:

https://youtu.be/RQenSna9RhQ

Edit:

Ok, sorry, I went back and remade the video.  This one should have all the details on it :)

Thanks so much HamlinBC. That really helped. I'm going to have a go with another model and try to replicate and practice what you did. I noticed that you changed the fascia on the garage to 12" and the main house to 14". Can you tell me why the roofs are different and how this works? Was the problem that I had them all the same? I didn't know about the tool to break the planes. I will keep practicing.

Cheers

Coralie

No, I changed the PITCH over the garage to 12/12, and the PITCH over the house to 14/12.

The reason for the difference is so that the main house ridge line would be over the garage ridge line.  If they were both 12/12 then the garage would stick over the house and you would have a goofy "Witches Hat" or "Dog Ear" or whatever they call those things.

Thank you so much for that video and your tips. I've been practicing it, and I'm a lot further along than I was before. So thanks again for your help and thankyou to everyone on here who offered me advice. It all helped in the end.

Cheers!

No, I changed the PITCH over the garage to 12/12, and the PITCH over the house to 14/12.

The reason for the difference is so that the main house ridge line would be over the garage ridge line.  If they were both 12/12 then the garage would stick over the house and you would have a goofy "Witches Hat" or "Dog Ear" or whatever they call those things.