How To Create Stone Wall Through Center Of House.

mccombbj

Hello, I'm learning CA and have ran into an issue with trying to do my own house, I can't figure out the right way to do it. My biggest issue is how do I create the center block wall that runs through the house? It has fireplaces and wall openings in it so how do I deal with this? Can I just use the fireplace tool and make a huge one and put a opening in it? 

The stone wall is made of 2 split-face cinderblock walls that basically cut and extend beyond the house as shown below.

I guess i'm just looking for advice on how to create this in CA, I tried making a room that just extended up to the height, but it cut all my stone walls up in the attic (the stone wall just stuck out on both ends but not in the center where the CA said the attic was), and I couldn't figure out how to make the roof tie into this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

post-5624-0-79844800-1429505870_thumb.png

post-5624-0-53195100-1429505891_thumb.png 

you should be able to pull the Block wall up in an elevation view above the Roof line , like this

post-315-0-06949400-1429509779_thumb.jpg

as for the Doors etc just place them in the centre wall as normal  , use a "doorway" to make the fireplace opening perhaps and solids or soffits to fill in the back at the correct depth.

no doubt plenty of other advice will come Monday morning.....

M.

In reality that is not one solid wall but probably stone on block.  You can create a wall type to match and draw the walls

and then insert openings where needed. For fire places I make the room walls black, no molding and us a bi-fold door with narrow black frames 

sized as needed.  Of course if it is an open fire place then skip the door and just use doorway, no casing.  There are symbols for fire place items wither in CHief or in 3D warehouse.

Thanks guys, Very helpful information. When I get home I'll try the just pulling it up in an elevation view.

To give more information the block wall is actually split-face cinderblock, and is not solid. The wall itself measures about 40 feet by 3~4 feet, There are actually skylights on top if you look up through the center of the wall.

I understand just inserting openings and fireplaces, thank you, I see it's just like working with any other wall.

My other question would be how to anchor the roof to this, if you look at the front of the house picture the roof on the left is actually lower then the one on the right, exposing a lot of the cinder block wall. How would I do this in CA?

When I try to build the roof it always tries to connect the two roofs on the left and right, when they actually have no relation.

Side note, I'm sure you guys already know this, but this block wall has caused all kinds of water damage, In general I would now say it's a bad idea to have a 1 wythe wall.

I would still build real Chief walls and pull up as needed or just set the ceiling room height as needed. In real life that would have to be maybe 12" blocks at least. The roof will attach to that and things like electrical and wall material regions will work. I always say model it as it would be built. If your way works then why not.

The Roof heights are controlled by your room heights , but you are right about the roof planes still trying to join up despite a block wall in between them, I had to drag/pull the lower side down back on it's side of the block wall and pull the other side upto the block wall to make it work.

post-315-0-92152500-1429558862_thumb.jpg

maybe it'll help ? here is my play plan done in X7

Block Wall issue.plan

If you draw the "wall" with thinner walls all the way around, you will end up with a hollow "wall" which is really a room.

Open the room dbx and specify no roof over the room and the auto roof builder will ignore it and not build a roof over it.