Foundation Quandry

Joe_Carrick

OK, so I have my foundation set with 24" Stem Walls, 8"x16" Footings -3" offset.

Why can't I get the Garage Foundation Walls to go down the way they should?  I need the Footings to be down into Natural Grade the same distance as the rest of the Footings.

post-47-0-05812100-1427311179_thumb.jpg

Also we shouldn't have to lower the slab a couple more inches, it should be any height you want.

Perry,  do you have a slab that your can not lower a couple more inches?  If so,  post it and I will see if I can do it.  If not,  this is one of the bugs that Scott Harris was interested in seeing so I would like to send it to him.

I think I can do most anything with slabs,  if anybody can't do what they want with slabs,  I wish they would post it,  I will make a vid to see if I can do it,  and if I can't,  I will send it to Scott Harris and he will have it fixed because he is a big muckity muck and he gets things done.  And he ain't a bad golfer.

Well, what if its a landing slab, you can't lower it more than 1 1/2" from the threshold of the raised floor. I can make this work but you can't do it automatically, you have to create a manual footing along side of the stem wall footing. You know I learned it form you a while back. It is a bug for sure.

.....I can make this work but you can't do it automatically, you have to create a manual footing along side of the stem wall footing......

I agree,  it cannot be done auto,  must be done manually.

Again,  if anybody comes across a mono slab issue,  lets's post it here,  if we can not solve it, we will send it on to Scott Harris.

If you describe something without a plan,  I ain't guessing and I ain't looking.  Please post a plan so we are all on the same page.

Scott,

One thing you can't do is offset the footing of a MonoSlab Foundation outside the face of the Wall.  To do that you have to use a Stem Wall Foundation with a Slab on Top.

Go ahead, prove me wrong.

I think you can but it is not worth the effort.  I agree with you Joe.

Joe,  I have been fighting for this since the beginning of the mono slabs.  I gave up.

In a nutshell I think what would make JC happy is if the  mono slab footing was made up of a FOOTING,  a STEM WALL that sits on the footing,  and then the SLAB that sits on the stem wall.  This way,  we could offset the FOOTING from the STEM WALL,  if you know how mono slabs are formed,  this would make sense.

As of now,  I believe the mono slab footing are only made up of a footing.  I did many vids on this back in the day,  nobody but maybe the PMan listened,  I gave  up.

The words...Quirky, unintuitive, user hostile come to mind when I work with mono slabs. We do mono slabs differently in Oregon, due to the need for insulation we don't use a spread footing, but it's always difficult for me when I have mixed foundation types, heights, and thickness.

I think that the limitations of floor 0 tend to compound the problem.

You guys know , you can offset the footing on a monoslab.

Of course you can,  but you cannot control the depth of the footing....  there is a stem wall that should connect the footing to the slab,  we should be able to control the distance from the bottom of the slab to the top of the footing,  and this would be doable if CA was programmed to recognize a "stem wall"

post-50-0-20234500-1427314003_thumb.png

Well, I beg to differ.

My take is that a mono slab footing IS made up of the slab, a stem wall and a footing.

The thing you are missing is that Chief tries to force the stem wall to be the same thickness as the slab.

And the bottom of slab sits directly on the footing.

I can just about auto build what Joe wants. 

Well...I can do it, but there are few lines that display in section that you probably don't want to see. 

Materials would report correctly to the material list.

You can probably guess how I did it.

The main purpose, though, was to demonstrate that there is a slab, a stem wall and a footing.

Have a look at the auto detailed section below and the 3D - is that what you are after? (you may not want the brick ledge - that is optional.)

I still need to play a bit more to clean it up.

we should be able to control the distance from the bottom of the slab to the top of the footing,  

Yes,I agree, we should be able to do this.

and this would be doable if CA was programmed to recognize a "stem wall"

As I said above, Chief actually uses a stem wall to create the detail and therefore recognises the stem wall.

What we need is the ability to adjust the height of the stem wall independent of the slab thickness. 

Scott,

The stem wall is built between the top of footing and and zero floor level (that part of the stem wall above the slab is a kerb - you can see this when you drop the floor below zero).

The slab sits hard down on the footing.

So most of the time, you are not aware of the stem wall as it is hidden by the slab - but it is still there and you can change it's width.

So...if I want to force the footing down lower away from bottom of the slab, you have to increase the depth of the slab - Chief doesn't allow another way to do this. 

BUT, I don't want a thicker slab, so I add another layer to the floor structure (under the concrete) and give it a no material.

We are then lucky because Chief knows to create the chamfer under the concrete floor layer and not the no material layer.

The horizontal line you see (which I can't hide) level with the top of the footing is the underside of the slab - or the underside of the "no Material" layer of the slab.  

post-106-0-45219100-1427410455_thumb.jpg

Clever Glenn but almost useless. I cut a section thru a house, I have a two story footing on left side , I have a one story footing on right side, hence stem wall heights and footings depths are different, your method does not work.

Again, I have been talking about this since mono slabs first came out, and there has been no attempt to program this correctly.

I have given up. Maybe at the UGM we can discuss this. I know Scott Harris is very interested in our input.

A final comment, Joe talks about detailing the footing like this because it saves concrete, I agree, but if we can not model it correctly, the M.L. Is not accurate.

CA should be reprogrammed to allow this shape for a mono slab.

This is a very subtle design feature. This is nothing new, especially for big home builders who build multiple houses. The savings in concrete can be significant.

Clever Glenn but almost useless. I cut a section thru a house, I have a two story footing on left side , I have a one story footing on right side, hence stem wall heights and footings depths are different, your method does not work.

Scott,

Yes, only good for a flat site where the footings are all at the same level.

I guess the main purpose was to establish that there IS a stem wall involved and to demonstrate the relationship between the slab, stem wall and footing.

I learnt a lot by going through the exercise.