Door Label Macro

Tim-Grindlay

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a macro that could be inserted into the door label DBX

For doors with multiple leafs, we would like to show the labels as:   number of leafs / leaf width

eg.   a double door 1620 width,  to show as   2/810   (or similar - 2 - 810 or 2 x 810...etc)

does anyone know if this is possible with X6.

Thanks,

Tim Grindlay

X6

NZ

YES/NO

Ruby does have a attribute "is_double_door' which you can use to test if double door leaves are present. The width attribute, however is only the total door(s) width, so if a double door is present, just divide by two.

Chief does not do multi-leaf doors other than symbols and those do not have the appropriate attributes.

if is_double_door == true then

etc. etc.

else

etc., etc.

end

Thanks,  I tried things like %width/2%,  but that doesn't seem to work,  

when you say - just divide by two -    is there an easy macro for this that can be entered into the label DBX

I have had a small play with Ruby,  but I didn't have much time to continue with it ,  as have not yet found much use that suits us

Nope, Nope, Nope

Ruby attributes have to be used within Ruby Macros. Chief macros and Ruby are different but Some return the same info. Chief's macros can not be changed..

Attached is a macro that may get you in the right direction -- if you need more ask? Add the macro to your MM DBX than use as a label macro.

door.zip

Hi Gerry,  that is really great ,  thanks,   I have opened it with JSON editor online,  and tried a couple of ways to copy and paste into MM,  it is showing an evaluation error,  and greyed out when try to insert in label DBX,

sorry to bother you with this,  could you post a screenshot of how it should read in MM  ,  or post a plan file with it in,  thanks for your time with this

........ as have not yet found much use that suits us

Exactly - Why Chief would invest thousands of manhours in a feature than cripple it to the extent that it is made mostly unusable is the eternal mystery? Never heard a credible explanation from Chief yet?

Yeah we have just been leaving the %width% label for all interior doors,   but the frame makers want us to show the door leaf width,  which is the standard here..

(eg.  810  for single leaf   -  2/810 for double   -   3/810 for triple etc.   )

bit reluctant to enter manual labels,  as we have 6 designers and just makes for more potential errors with manual labels

an example is with the sliders 2/810 leafs wont = a 1620 door -  as leafs overlap each other

its only a small issue,  but would be good to have auto labels...    we will def. use the macro Gerry supplied,  now only internal sliders we will have to enter manual labels

Yeah,  I just realised,  the macro you provided,  which is excellent,  works with hinged and pocket doors - also bifold sort of,  but not sliders....   interesting stuff..

I haven't looked at Gerry's macro.  However, it should work for Sliding Doors as long as the number of panels is 4.  3 won't work but 4 will if the macro is written correctly.

I do not see much of a problem with creating just about any desired label for doors - except that you can only have a single line of text.  Virtually all of the data is available to Ruby - but creating a macro to use the right things and perform the right calculations can be a bit of work.  That said, once it's done.............

I've done a bit more checking and I can calculate the panel sizes for 2,3,4 Panel Sliding Doors if you can provide the overlap distance of the panels.  As I said in post #16, there is sufficient data available to Ruby via the door attributes to do this.  You just have to know where to look. ;)

I just checked -   if a 4m wide slider has 4 panels,  it shows as  2/2000   with 3 panel, it shows as 1/4000

this is similar as bifold,   double bifold shows as 2/2000  (no option for three panel)

ideally, we need to show the number and leaf width of all panels  (4/1000),  if can't do with a macro,  then we need to enter the label manually,

this is ok,  just more room for error -   if someone just quickly changes the door size,  they might miss also changing the label...

again - no real biggie,  but auto for this type of stuff is much better...

Tim Grindlay

X6

NZ

Tim,

There just has to be another check (conditional processing section) within the macro.  The type_name attribute for a Sliding Door will be either Slider, Triple Slider, or Quad Slider.  Using that data you can determine what number to divide by.

Actually, the type_name attribute is available for both Doors and for Windows and is very useful for determining the exact configuration.  The is_double_door attribute is less useful for this purpose.

It might be a bit beyond me -  I think I can see the theory - to use one macro for all interior doors,  the macro would have to check for door type and number of leafs,  but the code writing is beyond me,   I have progressed from excel to visual studio,  but I don't have the time or energy to try to get my head around ruby...

We would be willing to pay someone if they could write the macro for us...

just a macro to show number of leafs and leaf width for all types interior doors  (eg.  2/710  or 3/810  format)

I have just done a stint on ArchiCAD -   I assumed it would be much better than Chief,  for all the raves it gets here, and the price difference,  but all it has done is given me more respect for Chief,

the few things that were bugging me  (mainly just windows and doors now) I can live with until improved,   there were lots of things with ArCAD and AuCAD LT that bugged me even more...

.......ave just done a stint on ArchiCAD -   I assumed it would be much better than Chief,  for all the raves it gets here, and the price difference,  but all it has done is given me more respect for Chief,.......

Ain't that a pistol.  I too am always looking for a better  program....  or should I say I am always interested in comparing programs.......  Yep,  CA holds up pretty darn good even when comparing against the more expensive programs.  We must give CA a lot of credit for what they have accomplished.  

It might be a bit beyond me - I think I can see the theory - to use one macro for all interior doors, the macro would have to check for door type and number of leafs, but the code writing is beyond me, I have progressed from excel to visual studio, but I don't have the time or energy to try to get my head around ruby...

I have just done a stint on ArchiCAD - I assumed it would be much better than Chief, for all the raves it gets here, and the price difference, but all it has done is given me more respect for Chief,

Interesting - I had the same opinion, initially. But realized that you have to dig much dipper to accomplish similar tasks in Archicad vs Chief The two programs are completely different in philosophy. In general most task will take longer to do in Archicad vs Chief. But you save in the end because everything just works and is well thought out.

So for "cookie cutter" residential Chief will shine. Step outside that and Archicad usually will have a solution. I don't think it is possible to evaluate Archicad in a thirty day trial or without formal training. Most shops that use Archicad also have the resources to hire a dedicated administrator. So from a overall productivity standpoint, Chief is faster out-of-the-gate. Archicad is definitely long term. The proof is categorically in the market share .

That said, Chief has the basis to surpass long standing deficiencies in Archicad, notably in Material management and data access. The gap in BIM (IMNOHO) is mostly BS. Unfortunately Chief's management is just to shortsighted and reticent to see it.

door_1.zip

door_x6.plan

Hi Gerry,  thanks for the post,  was the plan file created in X7,  it won't open in my version of X6 (I think I have the latest update X6),   we have X7,  but I haven't loaded it on this comp yet,  the boss wants to hold off until our contractors have upgraded.

Joe,  re. post #17,   I think the overlap is about 20mm,  that probably isn't so critical for us to show,  if we can just show the number and leaf of widths,  the framemakers know what to allow.    or is this critical for the macro to work

Thanks