How do I union 3D solids?

Darcen

I drafted this timber framed truss with poly line solids, now I want to union them so I shift select all 4 beams and then hit the union key but only 2 will union. I can go back and select the now (3) objects and try to union the remaining and it will not do it. I also would like to work with poly line solids but I cant find poly line options in the X16. can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-09-19 101034.png

Are all of the objects really polyline solids?  As far as I know, it should just work as long as they are all polyline solids and they are actually touching or overlapping each other.  I don't think you have to do each piece one at a time either.

If you can't figure it out, you might want to post the plan.

11 hours ago, Darcen said:

now I want to union them

Why do you want to union them?  Once you do, it becomes harder to manipulate.  If it's just because its a PITB to move around, just make it a block.  Personally, unless its an actual one piece item, I don't union anything, but that's just me.  I have the same mentality in AutoCAD too.

1 hour ago, mtldesigns said:

Why do you want to union them?  Once you do, it becomes harder to manipulate.  If it's just because its a PITB to move around, just make it a block.  Personally, unless its an actual one piece item, I don't union anything, but that's just me.  I have the same mentality in AutoCAD too.

100% agree.  Dare I say next to impossible to manipulate effectively post union.

Not to mention, if you plan to do any wood texture for a rendering etc you have to have a texture per direction so per wood member (which kinda sucks).  I really wish we could build wood structures out of framing members (which auto rotate the texture).

On 9/19/2024 at 12:21 PM, Darcen said:

I drafted this timber framed truss with poly line solids, now I want to union them so I shift select all 4 beams and then hit the union key but only 2 will union. I can go back and select the now (3) objects and try to union the remaining and it will not do it. I also would like to work with poly line solids but I cant find poly line options in the X16. can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-09-19 101034.png

I was working through questions on beams and posts - check this out if you want the wood grain to be correct, which will not be the case when you join everything.

Here is a library of beams, brackets, etc. I have put together for proper grain. Both Blocks (to explode and manipulate), and Symbols

Millwork.calibz