2ND STORY

Cadwork22

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

If you are stuck on using the same plan file then create a new blank floor on the plan and manually draw in the part you want using the align with walls below to make sure your walls are planar.

What's the goal?  Construction docs or 3D renderings?

Model each in its own plan file, make a symbol of each fully modeled building, import all three symbols into a fourth plan file where you can build terrain, add features, other object symbols, and do renderings of file 4.

If you want one big layout file for all the three buildings, it can readily be done, the layout referencing plans 1, 2, and 3.

• Like 1

I created a building in a different plan, tried to copy/paste it and the second story didn't show.  I tried exporting as a DXF, but the scaling was off (took up most of the terrain) ...

To create a model,

-View the house in 3D, no terrain. 

-Turn off any interior furniture (To lessen the size of the model).

-Export as a 3D model (I prefer *.dae)

In your terrain plan,

-import 3D model.

-Chief will add it to the library.

-select it like you would a fixture and place it where you want it.

For.me it imports with the basement footer at terrain.elevation.  so I have to sink the house about 8-9 feet along the z axis. (Usually until the garage doors are 2" above the terrain.)

Then place the house where.you.like.

Then repeat for the other floor.plans you  want to include.  The upside is all 3 homes are now independent for schedules, notes, details and material lists. 

The downside is if you.make any changes to a plan, you need to re-export, re-import, amd replace the model.

There is a better way.  Simply "reference" another plan from your terrain file, like you would another floor. Renerabbit showed me this a while back, I haven't had the time to.master it.  It is similar to placing a footprint in a cad detail (but in the terrain file's plan view)  Best part is it is live.  If you change the house floorplan, the changes show up in the terrain file.when it is reopened.  Chief has a help dbx that will walk you through it.

Hope this helps.  We use it for subdivisions to show.many different homes side by side.

• Solution

I have 3 buildings on a site plan, I'm trying to add a second floor on ONE of the buildings but it's creating a 2nd floor on all 3.  Any ideas?

You could let the program build the second floor for all 3 and then just marquee select the second floor walls for the other 2 and delete them.  Should be much easier than manually drawing and aligning the walls for just the one.

I created a building in a different plan, tried to copy/paste it and the second story didn't show.  I tried exporting as a DXF, but the scaling was off (took up most of the terrain)

If you want to copy/paste a building from a different plan, you can use the "edit area all floors" tool instead of just selecting objects from one floor and copying them. 

If you used export DXF and the scaling was off when you imported it, then you must have messed up something.  Normally, the export and import of either 2D or 3D DXF defaults to the same scale it was drawn in and this shouldn't be a problem.

Another way of handling a subdivision is to have 3 separate plans with each of the individual buildings and then have one master plan that uses the reference display tools to display the m altogether.

More info about using 3D symbols for subdivisions can be found here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00344/modeling-a-subdivision-or-lot-with-multiple-structures.html

More info about using reference display can be found here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00475/using-the-reference-display.html

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1