High windows

I am working on a project where there is a 24' high turret. At the bottom of this room is a door and 2 windows. At the top is 8 - 2020 windows around the perimeter of the turret.
These window are showing up on the floor plan over the lower door and windows. Is there a way to prevent the high window from showing up on the floor plan. I can call off

the windows on the elevations.

Thanks,

Mike

Assuming your turret is made using multiple floor levels (1st, 2nd, etc.) you should be able to copy/paste/hold position from the lower floor to an upper floor or even the attic level. If you do I think you'll want to change the elevation reference in those windows to "absolute" instead of "from floor" before copy/pasting.

You could try as Brett suggested to make the Room 2 Levels , just make the 2nd story Room "Open Below"  so it has no Floor,  so the windows don't show on the 1st Floor Floor Plan, though that may effect the 2nd Story plan I guess?

I am not sure putting the Upper windows on there own layer and turning it off will work as the Wall fills will still show the holes I think.

M.

How would you show a clear story window over a front door and 2 side lights windows ? You do not want the clear story window to show on the floor plan. That would place a window symbol over the door symbol. That would be confusing when reading the plans.

6 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

How would you show a clear story window over a front door and 2 side lights windows ? You do not want the clear story window to show on the floor plan. That would place a window symbol over the door symbol. That would be confusing when reading the plans.

Here's an example of something similar I'm working on right now.

2024-07-10_14-15-40.thumb.png.0e1e1013fd4b976539e9bed42cfb7974.png

Here is the bottom row of windows on the main floor plan:

2024-07-10_14-17-20.thumb.png.b8f0252a5669b34149e6417a25e996cc.png

Here are the upper two rows of windows on the upper level plan. They're the same width so you don't see that there's two levels of windows, but I separate the labels so the upper window labels are further away from the wall, this works for me.

2024-07-10_14-17-58.thumb.png.59cb351e3bac0cf0e41ee90839cdf381.png

There's also an option in the window dbx where you can designate vertical stacking levels, which makes the upper windows a couple shades lighter on the floor plan, you could see what that does for you.

I tried that. On my plan the upper windows are narrower than the lower doors, windows and cased opening.
The cased opening is 8'-0" wide. Above that are 3 - 2020 windows. Those high windows very clearly show up in the cased opening.
This makes it confusing to who ever is reading the plans. 

On your plans you have all windows of the same width. Try changing the lower window to swinging doors. You will see a window symbol over the top of the door symbol.

It looks like I will have to draw this room as a 2 story and designate it as open to below.

23 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

It looks like I will have to draw this room as a 2 story and designate it as open to below.

Yeah that's really the only way you can do it unless you can paste them in the attic level at the same absolute elevation. And that's if you have any attic walls, which you probably don't if you're balloon framing your walls.

Or if you really really don't want to add a 2nd floor and the vertical stacking option doesn't do it for you, you could save a copy of the plan and remove the upper windows and use that 1st floor plan on your layout when you're all done. Not a great solution though. 

20 hours ago, capitaldesigns said:

This might work for you, all on the same floor.

594730569_WindowHiding.thumb.png.5a1455e46c6941e8dd5a4561163d402d.png

I tried it and it doesn't work. Yes the windows do not show up on the floor plan. What does show is all the openings of the windows. In the plan view it looks like there is a lot of doorway

openings where there is none. 

What would be great if CA allowed use do define a height of a cut plane in plan view like the cross section slider in perspective view does.

You might be able to get what you want with a pony wall.  Make your tall wall a pony wall with the upper and lower types set to be the same.  Set the plan view to display the lower pony wall only.  In your pony wall defaults, set it to hide openings in the non-displayed parts of walls.

In effect, the height of your pony wall will be the plan view cutting plane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capitaldesigns said:

I tried it and it doesn't work. Yes the windows do not show up on the floor plan. What does show is all the openings of the windows. In the plan view it looks like there is a lot of doorway

openings where there is none. 

The separate window layer only takes care of the windows not showing. Only doing this step will leave the opening lines.

Turning the wall lines to white should make all of the wall opening lines the same colour as the background page.... unless your background isn't white.

What colour are your 'doorway opening' lines?