Layout Box Borders

Ed_Orum

When  create cad details I define them with a border box.  All boxes are the identical width, but they vary in height.

The border box and the Cad Detail is then blocked and saved.
When  the Cad Detail is sent to the layout, the program creates a second border box surrounding the Cad Block border box.

This makes it time consuming to use the Align To Closest Edge tool, because I want the alignment to the original Cad Block, not the border created by the program.

Is there a way to set the program generated box so it aligns with the Cad Block border box?

image.thumb.png.bec759ac6010e479839a1e67d6783007.png

It may be hard to see from the screenshot, but there are actually two boxes....I do not want the outer box, only the inner box.
Anyone else run into this?

I find it is always a battle to get things just right in layout.  We do have some pretty good tools to get the job done but there is always something that takes a little more time and effort to accomplish than it seems like it should.   Not sure there is a solution for this exact problem but one thing that would fix it and I think would really help me out is layout box borders not being controlled by only a layer setting.  If the boxes had individual controls like labels I think that would make a dramatic difference to how layout is done.  I often only want a few layout box borders so end up using a cad line to accomplish it when needed.

23 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Not sure there is a solution for this exact problem

I believe the easy solution is allow snap to objects in the layout box.  That would make it easy to grab the CAD detail border and then position the layout box precisely on the layout sheet.

Autocad (my frame of reference) does this easy.  I wish Chief would do this.

Interestingly, I recall Revit, like Chief, not having this feature and being a source of annoyance to me.  The annoyance being we go to great lengths being precise with the model and then we have to monkey around trying for precision on the layout sheet.

On 6/29/2024 at 8:22 AM, Ed_Orum said:

When  create cad details I define them with a border box.  All boxes are the identical width, but they vary in height.

The border box and the Cad Detail is then blocked and saved.
When  the Cad Detail is sent to the layout, the program creates a second border box surrounding the Cad Block border box.

This makes it time consuming to use the Align To Closest Edge tool, because I want the alignment to the original Cad Block, not the border created by the program.

Is there a way to set the program generated box so it aligns with the Cad Block border box?

image.thumb.png.bec759ac6010e479839a1e67d6783007.png

It may be hard to see from the screenshot, but there are actually two boxes....I do not want the outer box, only the inner box.
Anyone else run into this?

Chief doesn't snap the Layout Box directly to the CAD BOX of a detail (or any view/object it seems), so I usually use my own CAD_Alignment Lines (Layer) and a CAD Grid of Dashed Lines (in Orange) in My Layout Template where needed to quickly Center Details and 3D Images etc on those pages and then bump them around as needed with bumps set to 1/32" for lining up the Floor surface CAD lines etc . as you can see at that stage I also make my Layout Box Borders Orange as well...... I don't use or display Layout Box Border typically, so both Layer are just turned off before Printing.

image.thumb.png.f11c4775a4e0ffed2004024920e692a9.png

M.