Do conditioned unfinished basement rooms count as square footage

GeneDavis

Not according to the ANSI standard for residential, but what do your jurisdictions say?

It matters in those whose fees for permits are based on footage.  I've a client who is being charged, even for the garage.

if the permit is for finishing a basement, and there are walls being erected they do count here, ie. if I am finishing a basement and leaving a bedroom "unfinished" it would count

If it is for an addition to a basement it counts.

The permitting department here has their own rules on calculating sq footage, nothing to do with any standard. 

• 2 weeks later...

I usually find there will be a distinction on submittal application forms between "conditioned area" versus "finished area" if its a jurisdiction where they place a lot of emphasis on sizing of Heating/Cooling units, so essentially where they ask for Manual J, S, & D for new construction, additions, remodels if you break the thermal envelope, or will replace the units. Forced air systems are sized for the entire house with air supply registers intermittently placed throughout the unfinished basement, which I speculate is because sometimes the basement is closed off with a door at the top of the stairs - sometimes its open to below...and this can be easily altered.

"Finished" spaces, however are usually differentiated by completing construction such as framing a wall against the inside of the foundation wall, vapor barrier, cavity insulation, drywall, paint, baseboard, etc., which is when the code requirements for living areas become applicable (outlets to code, natural ventilation/glazing minimums for window openings, etc.) and that room is no longer treated like a basement or storage area. At this point, (generally speaking) only after this point will that portion of the basement be added to the home's living square footage count for permitting/plan review fees and for real estate listings.

Of course, this can change depending on the building jurisdiction so verify the locally adopted IRC code version w/ amendments  for a "Definitions" section and/or "Measurements" or something similar for how they want this calculated. Also, keep in mind that Zoning and Energy Compliance may want a totally different number for the square footage. 

If you are still struggling or not sure you've come to the correct answer then post a link to the permitting department website and your plans PDF and I'm sure myself or others will take a look :)

As far as permits here, the local counties make up their own rules. In my county, they treat permits like taxes - charge for everything then make up crap to gouge some more!! We pay for everything in the house, and for garages as well. However, garages do have a different sq ft rate than the house.

Want to do anything over $10k, you need to pay for a permit - even if they will not be required to inspect anything. It's crazy, if you replace your flooring and it costs over $10k, you need to get a permit - the permit cost rate is based on the total expense of the job. We even need a permit to transport your baby barn shed if you want to take it with you when you move.

On the positive side, there isn't much confusion whether or not you have to pay for a permit ..... only how much are you going to pay, and how long will the job be held up waiting to receive the permit.