Best way to make a concrete stoop with steps?

Astrigal

I am new to CA(x15) and coming from 2D CAD.  I am wanting to make a concrete front stoop with steps that shows up properly when the back clipped cross section is created.

I haven't found a way to make it look like the way it is actually poured.  

I tried making it out of 3D objects and saving as symbols but then stretching symbols to get them to the right size causes deformities, and even still I don't see the lines properly in the BCsection method, though it does look okay with the elevation cross section (but I'd like to not have all that color for the final print out).

How is this best done so it shows well in sections and looks like the way it's poured?

Thanks!

Concrete steps are just wooden steps with closed risers, elimination of the tread overhang and risers.  The material can be changed with an eye dropper, or in the material section of the stair dialogue box.

I would make that with a solid. Shape it in elevation in order to get the sloped riser profile. You can set the CA stairs to have no overhang but generally, the riser is sloped back in order to have the code required nosing overhang.

Just a suggestion, but if you do the stairs in wood first, it is easy to adjust run and rise, create a section, then cad detail from view. Use that to generate the concrete stairs from a solid. I have requested a concrete stair tool with CA several times, along with the features of the stairs like the reverse slope of the risers.  So far, just crickets in response.  Keep your fingers crossed so that one day, CA will have concrete stairs.

In the Core Catalogs>Architectural>Staircases>Straight>Concrete Stairs.  Pretty limited as to what you can do, but it certainly shows in Section View. As the others have said, probably better to use the stair tools, or solid. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2024 at 10:59 PM, Astrigal said:

I am new to CA(x15) and coming from 2D CAD.  I am wanting to make a concrete front stoop with steps that shows up properly when the back clipped cross section is created.

I haven't found a way to make it look like the way it is actually poured.  

I tried making it out of 3D objects and saving as symbols but then stretching symbols to get them to the right size causes deformities, and even still I don't see the lines properly in the BCsection method, though it does look okay with the elevation cross section (but I'd like to not have all that color for the final print out).

How is this best done so it shows well in sections and looks like the way it's poured?

Thanks!

On 5/4/2024 at 12:08 PM, Astrigal said:

@Gawdzira  Do you (or anyone)  have an idea for concrete poured stoops+steps so it looks in section like the way they pour it? 

CA Dilemmas (06-10-2024).jpg

Just now, Tiger57 said:

CA Dilemmas (06-10-2024).jpg

I created my concrete-stoop using foundation walls (Wall-Tools).........I needed 2 sections, an upper (stoop) and then a lower (stairs)......this was the only way I know how to create this because of a few things: Footings w/walls are needed (know elevation hgt.) 

Roof/ceiling are not needed, however, I'm not sure of the best way draw a wrought-iron railing.....??

The stairs are dropped on top of the lower section, and then the stair material is changed to concrete.

I haven't figured out on how to draw a 6" trim piece on the left side (to mimic the right side)

Everything looks good in 3D except the few items I mentioned earlier.

image.thumb.png.158644976ae8c534ab6ebd84e5894931.png

This look is achieved by setting the railing walls to invisible and offsetting from the foundation walls by 1" (This is done in the wall DBX for the railing.

image.thumb.png.3639416146fde75140f987199e7d990f.png

The stairs have no stringers, no tread overhang and no thickness.

The risers are closed and set to closed underneath.  Then copy and paste concrete colour to the tread risers and walls under the stringers.