How to exclude existing house framing from an addition framing schedule.

MCCCcc

I designed an addition on an existing house and have created a schedule of just the addition the framing. The shell of the house has been added to the plan for perspective and elevation views. I have exclude the house rooms from being included in schedules but some of the framing is still being included. I have also selected all the house walls and excluded them from the schedules.The wall framing is still being added to the framing schedule. The only way I have found to exclude the wall framing is to select each stud individually and open its specification to deselect the Include Schedule button. CA won't allow me to marquis select similar stud objects.  Is there a better way to exclude the exist house framing from being added to the addition framing schedules?

There's a few ways - one would be to set the Existing walls to a new layer, the Materials List uses the Materials List Layer Set to figure what to calculate, so the existing framing can still build, just not be calculated. Otherwise, creating an Existing Wall Type you can change its framing material to just not be framed and avoid it building altogether.

3 hours ago, MCCCcc said:

I designed an addition on an existing house and have created a schedule of just the addition the framing. The shell of the house has been added to the plan for perspective and elevation views. I have exclude the house rooms from being included in schedules but some of the framing is still being included. I have also selected all the house walls and excluded them from the schedules.The wall framing is still being added to the framing schedule. The only way I have found to exclude the wall framing is to select each stud individually and open its specification to deselect the Include Schedule button. CA won't allow me to marquis select similar stud objects.  Is there a better way to exclude the exist house framing from being added to the addition framing schedules?

Study the Materials List Polyline and its settings.  Its a super powerful feature and is the best way to utilize the Materials List in my opinion.  It can be used in concert with the various tools you already know about (Layer Sets, Layers, Material Definitions, Components, etc.) and you can even group select them to produce a single combined materials list using different polylines with different settings.

7 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

change your existing house framing wall layer, in all existing walls, in the wall DBX to air gap and not framing. in all new walls leave the framing in.

I added a new text callout layer as Text, Callout, Excluded and used it in the Framing Schedule to reassign the numbered callouts to that layer. That allowed me to turn the callout off in plan views that used other schedule generated number callouts that were already displaying. That solved the problem without going through all the wall framing and turning off the Included in schedule button.

Thank you to Perry for his suggestion, which put me on the right track, although I used a slightly different method.

Thank you to everyone for you alternate suggestions. I had previously tried the Material List Polyline and it worked for all the framing associated with rooms, but not walls. I always  appreciated such good ideas when I feel against the wall.

• Upvote 1