Custom Dormer Help Needed

mdarch47

I have having trouble getting these dormers to build correctly on this as-built plan. It looks correct on exterior, but the roof hole doesn't seem to be cooperating.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  See attached pics and plan file version X15.

Thanks,

Mike Dolce, Architect

22-Linwwod-Ext-View-01.JPG

22-Linwwod-Int-View-01.JPG

221-Linwood-EC-COPY.zip

Hi Michael, 2 things that should help you out.

1. Adjust the roof opening polyline. I've highlighted the correction on just one side so you'll need to do this on both side.

image.thumb.png.e371e0147076568418f49e8c8484553e.png

2. Double click the main roof plane and go to the Structure Tab. Uncheck Use Room Ceiling Finish.

image.thumb.png.121bea14e72927d7d6da6690a6d85306.png

• Like 1

Hi Doug.  Thanks for looking at this and giving input.  For some reason on my end I am not able to adjust the roof opening....it keeps snapping back to the inside of the wall. And I did change the other settings as you suggested.  Oddly enough I got this dormer to work elsewhere on the plan??

22 minutes ago, tundra_dweller said:

Try opening up the roof dialogue for that roof plane & uncheck "Use Special Snapping"

2024-02-07_12-36-24.thumb.png.1dbd7f0a9592d60f21bddb4d652750f7.png

image.thumb.png.ca17dac297b2fb430fb88dda0e66e99e.png

Yes, I forgot that setting.  Good catch Brett,  That helps a lot with this.  

image.thumb.png.3c984ec93f9124821d7a6e6a9ae92733.png

59 minutes ago, mdarch47 said:

Hi Doug.  Thanks for looking at this and giving input.  For some reason on my end I am not able to adjust the roof opening....it keeps snapping back to the inside of the wall. And I did change the other settings as you suggested.  Oddly enough I got this dormer to work elsewhere on the plan??

I know how frustrating this can be when a dormer works in one location but not in another.  There are probably lots of things that the automatic dormer tool checks for, such as interference with other building elements that are not apparent to the user.  Fine tuning the parts is a bit of an art, and that is why this user group and some of the magicians here are such a great resource.  

And BTW I had the invisible wall along the back side because the dormers have a lower flat ceiling than the main room...not sure if there is another way to achieve that without creating a separate room?