Research - please help

trthomas

I am a drafting instructor at a community college in Texas. We have been using Chief Architect in our residential design class for the last 20 years (I learned it as a student here, and they still had the license when I came back as an instructor).

Recently, our local industry is pushing for Revit (which we also teach). I hear about it from almost every company, the local high schools and now the students. I’m am really trying to keep CA in our program so I have created a very short survey to help compile my research.

I do not ask for identifying information and if somehow this gives it to me, I will not use your personal information in any way. If you would like to help me out, please click the link below. 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CNLM2LS

Thank you! 
Carrie Hoffman 

I use AutoCAD (basic to MEP), Inventor, Chief Architect, Revit, Microstation, Inventor, etc. I can draw/design in any program. 
My user name was the previous instructor - I’ll figure it out

Edited by trthomas
Didn’t realize what my username was.

The survey seems lacking in critical questions. 

1. I am a solo office and work residential 99%. Therefore Chief can satisfy most of my needs

2. If I was to look for work right now in an architects office, I would need Revit as my primary tool. Full stop.

3. Is Chief a good introduction to drafting and something useful to get HS students interested in the profession, probably a big yes. 

4. If your goal to be more of a Trade School environment, Revit.

• Upvote 3

In your survey you only asked if the user was a licensed architect or not.  There are also (for houses) other licenses that allow for designers to design small buildings.  My license is like a very limited architect's license.  I am limited to 6,400 sq ft footprint and not more than 3 storeys.  That leaves a very large market for me to practice in.  I have tried to use Revit for house design, but it is really difficult to do, and really time consuming.  While it is more flexible than CA, that flexibility comes at a very high price with the time to be proficient and the time to build a library that is useful in this field.  At least in my opinion.  

it is the same here, architects are required over xx amount of square feet, and depends on type of building. 95% of residential house design does not require an architect here. Engineer on the other hand...that is a different storey (sic)