Drawing a 24x24 garage with room above but the customer doesnt want the inside finished. How do I get chief to leave the inside as framing?

NoahJohnson

Generate your framing.  Then in your camera view inside the room, select the Delete Surface button which is an S with an X through it.  Then click on the drywall.  It will just delete that surface.  Then if you have other layers between the drywall and framing, just keep clicking until you are down to framing exposed.  It is like peeling an onion.

• Like 1

For walls with exposed framing, create a wall type that has materials only on one side of the wall.

For example, copy the wall type Interior-4" to say Interior-4" GOS (Good One Side).  Delete the drywall on one side, then use that wall in your plan view.

Generate all framing and take a look in 3d.  I have included the sample garage plan in this post for your reference so that you can see the wall type as well.

image.thumb.png.0fb6c5578c6f455cbe5759c92e74155d.png

Joe makes a very good point about the ceiling, and in my jurisdiction, the walls would have to be drywalled as well so that the joints could be mudded and taped to mitigate the flow of fumes from the garage to the occupied space above. 

Garage Attic Space.plan

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the feed back.

Yes I knew about the 5/8 on the ceiling but the whole thing is to be unfinished( including the room above) and it not connected to the house

Ive been a remodeler for decades, but just learning chief now and really liking it. 

Looking forward to getting better at it! 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:33 AM, Doug_N said:

Generate all framing and take a look in 3d

Make sure in the 3D camera to turn ON the Framing Wall's Layer or you wont see the 3D Studs and Plates.

M.