3D split face block

mscpbd

2 hours ago, mscpbd said:

Does anyone have an individual 3d - 8"x16" split face cmu block? I need 3d and not just a texture to apply to a wall.

Thank you in advance.

Debra

Debra,

I think you could model one yourself using Chief tools: polylines / convert to 3D solid / boolean subtraction.

Regular smooth face block is pretty easy.  Just a  3D extrusion:

image.thumb.png.3dc116db2f8bde4e6c707e8598c3d5d4.png

To get a realistic split face requires a bit more work.  Here is same extrusion but with outer block face jagged:

image.thumb.png.12c4944d0d2c955964c8e27853466bc7.png

It occurred to me you might want more true detail for the split face.  I took the extrusion above then subtracted a similar copy from it that was rotated 90 degrees and placed right at the jagged face.  The result shows a more complex surface.  This example is crude, but I suppose the more time you spent on it the better it'd look.

image.thumb.png.c7d7838ad9b1b3f8eaad70752b5b724e.png

Jim

9 minutes ago, Greg_NY61 said:

I made this quick in Sketchup, see you can use it.

That looks great!

Just curious, but how long does it take to create something like this in Sketchup?  For the split face modeling, did you add spheres to the block body?

Jim

@Debra Always a pleasure to help out, glad you could use it!

@Jim It only took a few min if that... I used Artisan Plugin.

@para-CAD I couldn't agree with you more, Sketchup is amazing to create anything when it comes to 3D modeling, they have amazing plugins and even some of the advanced plugins the cost  is next to nothing.

• Like 1

I've used a split faced block on a number of steel buildings that had slit faced block to 8'. I had used a block (multiple colors) that a user made quite a while back. She was an airline steward that did a lot of Chief work on the side. She retired and don't recall her name. It was probably 10 years ago. I have not opened an older version of Chief that may have her library. I opened one project that I used it on, but  X15 did not recognize the texture. I haven't done any Split faced block for a number of years. It did look very good. I may search an older version of Chief to see if I can find it. I don't typically open the older versions.

• Like 1