Owner DL Drafting

dldrafting

I am setting up a layer set and naming it "Foundation Set." In it I have created layers of "Text, Foundation," Text, Foundation Callouts," "Dimensions, Foundation," and "CAD, Foundation," among a few others. This allows me to draw onto the foundation plan and show only foundation items. Later, if I add normal walls and fixtures as in a walk-out design, I can turn those foundation layers off for creating the living floor plan area in the walk-out. When I draw on this new foundation layer everything works correctly, and drawings and text receive appointed layers by name. All, that is, except for the "CAD, Foundation" layer. This layer always reverts to "CAD, default" seemingly no matter what I tweak in the settings. I am sure I am missing something. Thanks for any help that might be forthcoming.  Dan

Thank you Michael.

I had already tried that to no avail. Here's what I ended up doing. Went to the defaults drop-down menu and clicked on "CAD." Under "General CAD" I clicked on the "Edit" button and then changed the current CAD layer to "CAD, Foundation." After I did it, I remembered doing the same thing a couple of years ago, but had since forgotten. It works now.

Thanks for the prompt action.

Dan in the Great State Fair City of Sedalia, Missouri

1 hour ago, dldrafting said:

Under "General CAD" I clicked on the "Edit" button and then changed the current CAD layer to "CAD, Foundation."

This only temporarily changes the cad layer.  You use it when you want to add some items, for whatever reason on a specific cad layer that is not the default cad layer in you Saved Plan View.

To change it in your SPV, edit your SPV and select the layer set you want in selected defaults drop down.

The key is not to forget to hit "Save Active View" after you make your changes.  

In the beginning I used to always forget to hit the save button and any changes I made in my SPV would be lost or revert to the previous saved state, that is.

It was frustrating.  I suspect this is what you're going through right now.

And to add to your frustration, it looks like you found a solution to a problem you don't have.

Well, technically it's not temporary as long as you never change to a different saved plan view.  If I was to make a guess, I would bet that Dan is using the "working plan view" (or maybe even "none" if he started with a really old plan) which means it probably won't change until he actually changes it again.

As far as I can tell, changing the current cad layer through the general cad defaults, or using the cad menu, or by using the edit active view, they will all do the same thing.

You can really be a lot more productive by taking advantage of saved plan views though.  I highly recommend these training videos if you want to learn more about them:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/100/saved-plan-views-layers-annotations.html

• 1 month later...

I remember in one of the earlier versions of Chief, perhaps version 8 or 9, that you could print out a model to scale and then tape or glue together the various walls into a 3D model. Is that still a function?