How to shape cabinets?

KevinMyers

3 hours ago, KevinMyers said:

how to shape cabinets to go under steps

Depends if you need to have the doors work or just to place there.

Here's one way to start. Shown is the beginning of making working cabinets and another just a face.

The procedure for just making faces is a lot less work.

image.thumb.png.5a60d077df733531e5fea89cb5ebcb08.png

1. Start with an elevation. Mark the end of the cabinet run with a line.
  2. Take a detail from view
  3. Go to the detail and use the line that is bottom of stairs, add to it and resize to get a polyline of correct siz in the location you want,
  4. Close that pline and convert to a solid.
  5. Copy and paste into plan.
  6. Convert back to a polyline, then to a countertop
  7. Set thickness and height off floor.
  8. Add moldings with proper offset (sample included)
  9. Convert to cabinet door symbol, rotate so it is vertical.
  10. Set a stretch zone and change the bounding box (open the symbol included to see settings under advanced sizing.)

If you want functioning cabinets you have to do something similar to what is included in the attached X15 plan. You will likely need 4 cabinet to make it work.

If you want backs on the cabinets you need to make those as well (or just reflect a door symbol and live with the rails and stiles OR make a single new solid...)

You may need more than one door symbol.

Good luck trying to hinge the one on the far left or you image..

Angle cabinet.zip

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

some would argue that that's no proper cabinet

But you can add a top and a back. image.thumb.png.1f6dd2b01f0f23e2d7a4547ab1639a55.png

47 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Maybe some day we'll get fully editable cabinet boxes

Maybe but not really high on my list. In 20 years, I've needed maybe a half dozen of these and another batch of arch top. Many could have been done with solids, several were re-used (when I remember when and for who they were done. :)

The short answer is that there is no easy way to make an angled top cabinet.  Mark's method will work but it does take a bit more work then I usually want to do. 

As an alternative, it is relatively easy to make a door with an angled top which you could then convert into a symbol and just place under the stairs.  The only tricky part is trying to match the angle on the door top with the angle of the stair.  In the picture below, I have a basic panel door with a left side "arch" where all you need to do is futz with the height to get it close to the angles you want.  

sloped door.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2024 at 8:32 AM, DBCooper said:

The short answer is that there is no easy way to make an angled top cabinet.  Mark's method will work but it does take a bit more work then I usually want to do. 

As an alternative, it is relatively easy to make a door with an angled top which you could then convert into a symbol and just place under the stairs.  The only tricky part is trying to match the angle on the door top with the angle of the stair.  In the picture below, I have a basic panel door with a left side "arch" where all you need to do is futz with the height to get it close to the angles you want.  

sloped door.jpg

Could instead use a window and draw a roof at the rise angle and use match shape

• Upvote 1