PBR exterior

decorators3

HI

I am new to CA x15 from CA x11and find it very difficult to navigate the library ..  I notice that the new grass polyline  feature does not show in Ray trace Renderings only PBR.  My exterior PBR are terrible and have no glass reflections etc.  I've watched the videos on the exterior PBR Real time and printed the info but my exteriors are not even close to what I see here on the forum ,I realize i have to try several combinations which I have but not impressed.  

I see lots of videos on materials but most for interiors.  60 percent of what I do is exterior renderings but I don't  see a lot of assistance with materials lighting for exteriors. Questioning if my move up was worth it .. or maybe my expectations were too high

Are there any specific videos dedicated to exterior PBRs

Thanks

As for the library, check out this Chief video:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/268/library-browser-overview.html

Or, Rene's video:

https://youtu.be/_6015r6lT5A

I think you are correct that the new X15 grass will only appear in PBR and not in CPU raytrace.

As for videos, I don't know if there are any that are just about exteriors but there are a bunch of rendering videos here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/102/rendering-cameras-lighting.html

There is also some useful information in the samples gallery including plans you can download and how to videos.  Not sure if any of them have any good exterior tutorials but some of the exterior images look promising.  You can find them here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/samples.html

On 12/30/2023 at 6:19 PM, decorators3 said:

Questioning if my move up was worth it .. or maybe my expectations were too high

Update your Forum Signature and add your Hardware Details too in particular the Video Card Info , what do you see in Preferences , under the Render Tab for Videocard Status?,  does it say Yes next to Hardware Raytracing?   

If your Computer does not have Nvidia RTX , then Chief Defaults to using the X12 Light Engine instead I believe ...this is mine....

image.thumb.png.5871ecfaf1624e5b9d880246a2fe40fe.png

You must also have at least Shader Model 6.0 as well   (mine is 6.5 above)  more info on that here

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03146/identifying-the-shader-model-of-your-graphics-card-in-windows.html

M.

1 hour ago, decorators3 said:

Hi

thank you for your response.  My video card meets all the criteria..

I looked at your video.  It looks great  is it totally PBR real time ray trace 

Best to Quote someone , so they know they have been "Tagged"   or use the @ symbol before their Username to Tag them eg        @decorators3

that way the forum will let them know you have Replied....

A number of people with older computers have found their Cards don't work even with Shader 6 as they don't have the "Extended formats TypedUAVLoad" which CA has now added a Note about on the Link above which is why I mentioned it, but now with your Sig. filled in I see you have a 3070 which should be just fine

Note: Some graphics cards, such as the NVIDIA 700 series, may support shader model 6, but may be lacking a critical feature called "Extended formats TypedUAVLoad". If a graphics card does not support this feature, the word "No" will be mentioned beside this feature in the image above, and the card will not function with newer versions of Chief Architect software.

M.

11 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Best to Quote someone , so they know they have been "Tagged"   or use the @ symbol before their Username to Tag them eg        @decorators3

that way the forum will let them know you have Replied....

got it thanks.. .. so the video/movie you sent.. was it done in  PBR REALTIME   

CA is fairly capable of Exterior PBR these Days but it is definitely not a 1 Click and done thing , you will need to play with the Sun strength ( way too high by Default - try 5000-10,000 but may need lower eg 500-2000 so the backdrop isn't washed out ) and Sun Angle or use "sun follows Camera" and also  daylight intensity Try 700-1000) and Brightness too sometimes. Also make sure to Cap your Live Samples , I use 200, and also check the Box for the Denoiser if you haven't already.  Also try Refraction on or Off to see if it helps with Reflections.

image.thumb.png.ed6fa084ce481b9fa253e53b29b2ede8.png

here are a couple of mine without any Landscaping ( I don't get paid for that :) )

189225702_N.H._LH-NewBuild_2023_PBRLH.thumb.jpg.f14fe032a46bc5af1d9ad44b2333efec.jpg1100209556_N.H._LH-NewBuild_2023_PBRRH.thumb.jpg.abcf33fa40e2833411560259b514c2d5.jpg1993444279_N.H._KR_NewBuild_2023_PBR_FrontRight.thumb.jpg.afb7ec6f545b213fa8ffef42791e7d66.jpg1185643052_N.H._KR_NewBuild_2023_PBR_FrontLeft.thumb.jpg.ce1dd34fb929ab37eb3143083cbf44bc.jpg

M.

19 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

CA is fairly capable of Exterior PBR these Days but it is definitely not a 1 Click and done thing , you will need to play with the Sun strength ( way too high by Default - try 5000-10,000 but may need lower eg 500-2000 so the backdrop isn't washed out ) and Sun Angle or use "sun follows Camera" and also  daylight intensity Try 700-1000) and Brightness too sometimes. Also make sure to Cap your Live Samples , I use 200, and also check the Box for the Denoiser if you haven't already.  Also try Refraction on or Off to see if it helps with Reflections.

image.thumb.png.ed6fa084ce481b9fa253e53b29b2ede8.png

here are a couple of mine without any Landscaping ( I don't get paid for that :) )

189225702_N.H._LH-NewBuild_2023_PBRLH.thumb.jpg.f14fe032a46bc5af1d9ad44b2333efec.jpg1100209556_N.H._LH-NewBuild_2023_PBRRH.thumb.jpg.abcf33fa40e2833411560259b514c2d5.jpg1993444279_N.H._KR_NewBuild_2023_PBR_FrontRight.thumb.jpg.afb7ec6f545b213fa8ffef42791e7d66.jpg1185643052_N.H._KR_NewBuild_2023_PBR_FrontLeft.thumb.jpg.ce1dd34fb929ab37eb3143083cbf44bc.jpg

M.

thank you  I will keep at it.. your patience and assistance is appreciated..

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

I didn't link a Video that must of been @DBCooper

Mick.

ok sorry about that..... I've taken the  information you gave me on the exterior technique options etc and this is what I came up with.  I think with a little practice it will come together..

Thanks again....

exterior PBR Screenshot 2024-01-02 175956.png

34 minutes ago, decorators3 said:

ok sorry about that..... I've taken the  information you gave me on the exterior technique options etc and this is what I came up with.  I think with a little practice it will come together..

Thanks again....

Not too bad  :)

If you set the Sun to follow Camera , it will always shine on what you are looking at, while the Shadows may not be correct for your Location or the time of day, I personally think that is less important than the Client getting some well lit Views.

* I always Note it is a 3D Artist's Visualization and may not reflect the real world     (especially the Colors as Monitors don't convey them well ).

M.

46 minutes ago, decorators3 said:

Thanks again....

exterior PBR Screenshot 2024-01-02 175956.png

Might have been my video tour ...

I P.Med a few more samples ..

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Not too bad  :)

If you set the Sun to follow Camera , it will always shine on what you are looking at, while the Shadows may not be correct for your Location or the time of day, I personally think that is less important than the Client getting some well lit Views.

* I always Note it is a 3D Artist's Visualization and may not reflect the real world     (especially the Colors as Monitors don't convey them well ).

M.

thanks--- well noted!