Garage & Attic Walls

TCB_BdnMY

So im having some troubles with this roof line / wall intersection. As you can see here on the first image i cant get the top wall to stay set as an exterior wall. The 2nd image of the front wall is giving me the same issues, im on the attic floor of the plan but cant seem to get this wall to actually come up and connect with the roof plane. Basically these 3 walls that separate the house from the garage are giving me nothing but issues. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance and happy holidays. 

image.thumb.png.d4fc04ce74c51115cfce5144d239a166.png image.thumb.png.608f40b47a07589be3f63a3be32cb031.png

12 minutes ago, solver said:

Help the helpers by attaching the plan file. It cannot be open in Chief when you do, and all that's needed is the plan, not a full backup.

File size is too big to attach unfortunately cant get it under 23mb even after just zipping the plan file. 

21 minutes ago, solver said:

Look at how your roof and ceiling planes join the problem walls. That's a mirror on the roof showing the 3rd wall.

670319527_ct1.thumb.PNG.3a9b83e2d9d1865114597c5f3fddb1ff.PNG

I dont mean to offend... but maybe i do... looking through your posts, are all of your "answers" this cryptic and rude? This response adds nothing to the conversation, and pretty much only serves to your ego.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DeLayDesign said:

@TCB_BdnMY

I'm not sure if you received an answer yet, but I downloaded your file and quickly realized your roof plan does not touch the wall - thus Chief doesn't know you need an attic wall where you would like one.

image.thumb.png.abc7f2a02a3a44b7d128c31b00a7dc8f.png

when I move the plane up against the wall - the attic populates as it should:

image.thumb.png.d5627cbac09ac91f9287c68b7b9ca5d2.png

Thanks for this, i have that one figured out now, but for some reason the one on the lower side of the garage is still acting up. Would this have something to do with setting the proper wall type below roof intersections?

7 minutes ago, TCB_BdnMY said:

Thanks for this, i have that one figured out now, but for some reason the one on the lower side of the garage is still acting up. Would this have something to do with setting the proper wall type below roof intersections?

No. It appears you've been spray painting your walls. That wall's exterior materials are set as Drywall:

1891393737_ScreenShot2023-12-20at2_29_04PM.thumb.png.cf5d40976cb2ef2374e8be2136bfea81.png

You can reset it to Default, but it then reverts to the vertical B&B siding:

1590020204_ScreenShot2023-12-20at2_29_24PM.thumb.png.c26b3682ece1fb803c4929a2d5e4920d.png

Just now, solver said:

I told you exactly where to find the problem, so what's the problem? I did not want to offend you by spoon feeding you the answer as if I thought you were incapable of figuring it out on your own.

agree to disagree, your comment added nothing but and image and confusion.

5 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

No. It appears you've been spray painting your walls. That wall's exterior materials are set as Drywall:

1891393737_ScreenShot2023-12-20at2_29_04PM.thumb.png.cf5d40976cb2ef2374e8be2136bfea81.png

You can reset it to Default, but it then reverts to the vertical B&B siding:

1590020204_ScreenShot2023-12-20at2_29_24PM.thumb.png.c26b3682ece1fb803c4929a2d5e4920d.png

This wall here is what seems to be my main problem. Ive tried setting the wall type the same as the rest of my exterior walls but when i do it either stops at the btm roof line in the right wall type, or extends thru like this with a different wall type. 

7 minutes ago, TCB_BdnMY said:

This wall here is what seems to be my main problem. Ive tried setting the wall type the same as the rest of my exterior walls but when i do it either stops at the btm roof line in the right wall type, or extends thru like this with a different wall type. 

Changing the Wall Type does not override Material settings (that I showed in my s/s) when you have painted the walls. Have you painted the walls?

1387800322_ScreenShot2023-12-20at2_29_04PM.thumb.png.2521ac948ddb28f21d5afa5c81aafd1e.png

20 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Changing the Wall Type does not override Material settings (that I showed in my s/s) when you have painted the walls. Have you painted the walls?

1387800322_ScreenShot2023-12-20at2_29_04PM.thumb.png.2521ac948ddb28f21d5afa5c81aafd1e.png

I havent done any exterior "painting" on that part at least. Its supposed to be the same as the attic wall above, but it seems to default back to an interior wall type, or none at all.

I have it now so its all one type. Not sure what the heck i did but it worked. Thanks to everyone that gave some useful advise / ideas to try. 

12 hours ago, TCB_BdnMY said:

I dont mean to offend... but maybe i do... looking through your posts, are all of your "answers" this cryptic and rude? This response adds nothing to the conversation, and pretty much only serves to your ego.

12 hours ago, DeLayDesign said:

This is why I blocked "Solver"

Wow! To each his own but you guys are way off base IMHO.

I would venture to say that Eric has spent more of his time

helping posters to this forum than 99% of the members here.

Over time I can see where he has come to the conclusion

that It is far more worthwhile to teach people to do things

for themselves than it is to do those things for them over

and over again. The old "teach a man to fish" thing.

I can see the wisdom of this approach. Are we here to learn

the program or only to be spoon fed solutions?  Emogi-3s.png.d5004aee6ac5752e1577ef11f035e2f9.png

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Are we here to learn

the program or only to be spoon fed solutions?

I get what you're saying, and largely agree, especially with how helpful Eric is. He's bailed me out many times and I'm grateful for that. But I see the other side too. 

The post in question was definitely cryptic. I couldn't understand what the message was or how to use that information to learn how to solve the problem, and I really tried to. Do you understand it? Do you think it "teaches fishing"?

And yeah I like to be spoon fed. :) Sometimes I need an answer fast, and performing the work myself allows me to learn even if I'm given step by step instructions. But I think it's important that we do the actual work ourselves. That's why I give instructions, but never a fixed plan. "Here, I fixed your plan and attached it for you." THAT's where the spoon feeding goes too far IMHO.

The end.

5 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Wow! To each his own but you guys are way off base IMHO.

I would venture to say that Eric has spent more of his time

helping posters to this forum than 99% of the members here.

Over time I can see where he has come to the conclusion

that It is far more worthwhile to teach people to do things

for themselves than it is to do those things for them over

and over again. The old "teach a man to fish" thing.

I can see the wisdom of this approach. Are we here to learn

the program or only to be spoon fed solutions?  Emogi-3s.png.d5004aee6ac5752e1577ef11f035e2f9.png

sure... but i also have spent plenty of time trying to figure this out myself already, i came here for an answer, not a cryptic picture that shows nothing with no explanation at all and if you look thru his posts they are mostly all like this with some cheeky attitude then someone else actually explaining it. If i want training, i'll pay someone polite that actually shows a history of helping people instead of one cryptic post after the other. Ive been thru trade school and 4 years of college otherwise, the best teachers were the ones who took the time and explained things clearly, the worst were the cryptic buttheads who made you struggle and guess and waste time. Same goes for online. Look at his post up top, and tell me you get ANYTHING from it. 

Now if anyone has something actually constructive to add to this that would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise i think i have the wall fixed up

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Here, I fixed your plan and attached it for you." THAT's where the spoon feeding goes too far IMHO.

I will say on more than one occasion Eric has created videos of how to fix my plan using my plan, but more importantly to me is the explanation he puts into them on why it's done a certain way. Once I know the why I can apply that to other problems

• Upvote 1