Show object on different floor

Jake1976

Does anyone know if it's possible to show an object on a different floor without moving the object?  Case in point:  I'm modelling some ductwork, including the fittings and the ducts.  The fittings are symbols and the ducts are 3d polylines  and extruded primitives.   some of the parts are not showing up on one floor, but they do show up on another (in plan view) Kind of like how a roof, in plan view will on ly show up on one floor.  It's it possible to designate which floor these items show up on? I know roofs have a "show on floor above" and "show on floor below" icons, but I don't see an icon to do this for symbols, primitives or 3d molding polylines.  I've tried cutting and pasting them on a different floor using Hold Position, but it also moves them up.  So, the only way (questionable as to whetehr it's worth it in this case) is to cut and paste them, then move them down to their actual position.  I think this must be the only way but wanted to throw it out there as well. 

1 hour ago, Jake1976 said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to show an object on a different floor without moving the object?

Reference display- defined a layer and applied to objects, selected reference dispaly (F9) then "change reference floor display (ctrlm, shift, g) copied the layers set and changed to only show what is wanted.

image.thumb.png.d8bd47e278d49d16d7331c35280811d7.pngimage.thumb.png.2f9f2ec98f9dc57812c28a042edeb183.png

Normally things display on the floor you draw then on.  However you can cut and paste to another floor without changing position if you use an "absolute"  elevation reference and that my be acceptable for your display purposes.  However this will not work for your moldings so you would need to convert them to symbols. You can also use reference displays to display entire layers of items which may be more practical as Mark just mentioned above.

• Upvote 1

cool thanks, I know about reference display, but that may be reactive, whereas, making sure that things are on the right floor, will help keep things clean.  thanks for your help.  Developing a mechanical plan using the actual model items... it's working  out pretty nicely!

image.thumb.png.4c0c32ab4fb620488d9db3cd0b130fac.png

On 12/17/2023 at 10:59 AM, Jake1976 said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to show an object on a different floor without moving the object?

Open the object and change the elevation reference to “absolute”

Now you can “ctrl X” (cut) and paste-and-hold-position to the floor you want.